susnant

handicap NV van

I was wondering if anyone put a wheelchair lift on the side entry door of the NV 3500? My son is in a power wheelchair and we have been looking at the NV van. Do you have to get the raised roof or was the regular high enough? Pictures would be great.

Thanks for any information.

We are in the process of getting a rollaramp ,, should arrive this week, we just purchased a NV passenger this week.. We decided to go with this system for right now to see how it goes.. stand-by for pictures.. as far as the height you will have to bend over some,, her chair will fit inside with her in it.. we both are about 5'7-5'8,, the best thing we like about the rollaramp is if you need to exit out the side, say a side walk you can or out the rear you can.. We have removed all the seats except the one we will tranfer her over to using a transfer board.. and will use the attachments with straps in rear to secure her chair to..

http://www.accessibleconstruction.com/services/beds/sliding-transfer-board.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7_cXmEoBM

Turns out the roll-a-ramp is not a good fit for us.. just wanted to follow up.. still looking at options.. stay tuned..

Thank you to the poster, I appreciate your business and I'm very happy we will be able to do the build the way you wanted!!

I worked with this wonderful family for several weeks.  I've selected vendors and overseen many specialty conversions like this in the Sprinter world but this is my first with Nissan and was excited to be given an opportunity to help them.  They had a very challenging situation.  They wanted a side lift (as opposed to rear), but there were height restraints in the door opening.  They have a wonderful child in an electric chair that was a inch or two taller (in the chair) than door opening.  I met them for the first time at my dealership when they arranged to have a local company come out and do measurements to give an estimate for the build and check viability of their proposed plan.  They had said side entry was not possible.  I called my vendor out here that has done wonderful work and we met many more times with the family.  After going through and re going through everything we got the green light on the side entry.  The family is ecstatic and decided to use this vendor for the upfit.  They took delivery of their brand new Black NVP SL last week.  

Equipment is about 4-6 weeks out, when it comes in it should just take a few days to install.  My vendor does absolutely tremendous work and I know this build will be top notch.  I will photograph and post up pictures of the build once it is completed.  If anyone has questions please ask.

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager

What's the brand name on the lift? 

We have a 2013 NV 3500 passenger van and looking to install a lift for my 8 yr old son.  He just received his wheelchair and it is extremely heavy.  Prior to the wheelchair,  he was in his car seat and we would transfer him to his stroller.  However, because of his weight, size and strength, I am no longer able to that.  Any suggestions on portable ramps vs lifts?

Chris_CommercialManager is still the commercial manager at Scott Clark Nissan in Charlotte, NC. Give him a call.