joesimpala

Handling Concerns

New NV owner here, actually purchased in early January and have about 1800 miles on the van. I've seen several posts on this forum praising the handling of the NV which makes me wonder if something is wrong with mine. The van feels awfully skittish at highway speeds requiring near constant correction. Not horrible but takes a lot more effort and concentration that I would expect. Also even slight wheel movements turn into an over correction. Now if you add in some wind things get very hairy. I've driven a few days with high winds (20 with gusts of 30+) and this thing was nearly impossible to keep in the lane. I probably would write it off as the drawbacks of driving a giant box but with the comments about how much better the handling is in the NV compared to other vans it makes me think it should be better. If this is not the way the van should handle what would be the culprit? I was thinking of asking the dealer to take a look at the alignment when I take it in for the first service but at the rate we are putting on miles that's going to be a couple more months. If I get some feedback stating it should handle better then maybe ill make a special trip just to have them look into this issue.

Good to have you here on the forum.

My high roof 2500 tracks so smoothly down the road - can lift my hand from the steering wheel and experience near zero drift. Wind is another issue but as the wind increases my driving speed decreases.

When I installed a 100lb AC unit on the roof I figured an aftermarket upgrade might be in order, so I purchased the Roadmaster Active Suspension 3614-T for 2011-2014 Nissan NV 1500, 2500, and 3500 Vans from Strutmasters.com. I knew I had done the right thing when I later on had to suddenly swerve avoiding a large piece of tire in my lane. The NV was so stable while avoiding the "gator" that I really didn't give it much thought until later - glad I had the active suspension installed.

Only 15,000 miles on my 2012 model (DIY camper conversion) but truly love driving it.

My gut reaction says you should have it checked out.

Shouldn't be any handling problems, low or high top. Even when hit by high, steady side winds or sudden gusts, it will stay on track or get get back on track after you react to a gust.

Another positive is the even wear on the tires.

High wind gusts can move you some, especially with a high roof van.

You definitely have a steering or suspension issue. Make sure the dealer drives it on open road at high speed. These issues are not as noticeable in stop & go city traffic.

Let us know what you find.

x

Edited by Jerry

Agreed, other than air pressure, I can't imagine what it would be. Let us know what you figure out:(

It would have to be a problem with 1 or 2 tires down (high?) on one side. After a rotation screw up, the pressure was 80 psi front and 50 psi rear. There were no handling problems.

Thanks all, I made an appointment for tomorrow to have it looked at. I checked the tire pressure and it was 80 rear 56 front.

It kind of depends on what you are coming from.  Compared to a modern sedan, the NV does require more attention to the steering in my experience.  Compared to other vans or large commercial vehicles I've driven, it is much more stable and true.  I guess it's about perspective.

One this I would ask the dealer to check is the toe-in on your alignment.  If you are too "open" then you may get a drifting feeling in the steering.  

It kind of depends on what you are coming from.  Compared to a modern sedan, the NV does require more attention to the steering in my experience.  Compared to other vans or large commercial vehicles I've driven, it is much more stable and true.  I guess it's about perspective.

One this I would ask the dealer to check is the toe-in on your alignment.  If you are too "open" then you may get a drifting feeling in the steering.  

I agree.......but have them check it out.  I like the others here think they drive great, I have not heard of an issue like this before.

I have 7100 kms on my high roof...mostly highway in the mountains. 

I came from a TDI wagon which was relaxing to drive....unless loaded. Driving this beast is work. I am figuring out positions that I can relax a little in but I have to change hand positions constantly to rest. 

Get behind a semi at 100 kph and the top will shutter in the wake. 

I test drove Mercedes and Dodge before this one and I was impressed with the NV. The others didn't stand out for me. 

It is a great vehicle but not a relaxing drive at highway speeds..so far. 

The way you describe how it handles is how I would describe my 2001 dodge ram pickup, there is play in the steering wheel that means you are constantly moving the wheel which is exhausting on a long trip. My nv passenger 3500 drives very well, I'm not constantly moving the wheel and I drove from PA to Florida twice so far. So it handles nicely. I will say that wind is another issue, I was surprised how much the wind was able to push me. I kinda expected to be immune to wind because of the massive weight, but I guess the toaster-esque shape collects wind like a sail.

New NV owner here, actually purchased in early January and have about 1800 miles on the van. I've seen several posts on this forum praising the handling of the NV which makes me wonder if something is wrong with mine. The van feels awfully skittish at highway speeds requiring near constant correction. Not horrible but takes a lot more effort and concentration that I would expect. Also even slight wheel movements turn into an over correction. Now if you add in some wind things get very hairy. I've driven a few days with high winds (20 with gusts of 30+) and this thing was nearly impossible to keep in the lane. I probably would write it off as the drawbacks of driving a giant box but with the comments about how much better the handling is in the NV compared to other vans it makes me think it should be better. If this is not the way the van should handle what would be the culprit? I was thinking of asking the dealer to take a look at the alignment when I take it in for the first service but at the rate we are putting on miles that's going to be a couple more months. If I get some feedback stating it should handle better then maybe ill make a special trip just to have them look into this issue.