Sign in to follow this  
Chris_CommercialManager

Trip to Canton Plant.

So I just got back from an impromptu meeting with select dealerships from around the country.  It wasn't so much a round table about specific product challenges but more about policies.  Given we had a one day window and then a half day at the plant, it went fast.  We never really spent too much time on a topic.

A few take aways.  They are going to be increasing production, which is great for us.  I saw a lot of passenger vans coming off the line so that would be great thing as the largest complaint was lack of inventory.  

Diesel...."is being thought about, but would cost 10-15k"

Extended.... "is being thought about" but re crash testing and modifications appear to be prohibitively expesnive.

Cab Chassis.... "is being closely considered".  Definately seems to be the most likely to appear next.

An interesting takeaway on the new titan.....All techs will be trained and need to be certified on diesel.  However there will be NO tear downs at the dealership in the event of an issue.  Engine will be removed and sent to cummins, new engine will be installed.  Almost couldn't believe it when they said that.  Good for the consumer.

The plant was amazing, spent a whole bunch of time there.  It was so suprising to see how friendly and happy literally all the employees are at that facility.  There was a bank, doctors office, pharmacy, all built in.  There were robots everywhere driving themselves around with parts, welding, etc etc.  I learned many new things but one thing I did not know is every single nissan is test drove before being approved.  Every other manufacturer cannot claim that.

I have to get caught up at work and can maybe post more later......but again alot of it was internal policy type stuff.

I've been twice to that plant for meetings/rewards trips, it's quite amazing.

The attitude is awesome to see there. Overwhelming to see the constant activity. 

Knew you'd like it. :)

In the more rural areas in the west, we have seen a lot of "cutaway" Fords, the heavy duty pickups not just the E series, with a variety of delivery/work boxes on the back. NVs will fit right in...

I don't think there is any interest in a factory 4x4.  Quiqley was referenced many times.  My .02 is they have many other things they will divert money to first.  Remember, it's all about budget.  Seems a cab chassis might be what they have their eyes on next.  I thought it would be an extended.

only time will tell!  I also have a real interesting trick for you guys to try with your NV.  I'll explain it to you guys tomorrow.  

Wheelies?? Cornering on 2 wheels? Flipping a switch behind the glovebox that raises the mpgs to 40+?? Can't wait!!

ok guys, been super busy here and haven't had time to post up......

So the  cool little secret I discovered on the trip.  It's a self diagnostic the vehicle can run.  It's checks everything from blower motor, windshield wiper, lights, horn etc.

Here's how to do it.....

turn the key to the "on" position.  There is a black rubber covered switch on the b pillar for the lights in the cab when you open the door.  Push it exactly ten times.  turn the key to off, wait a second, turn it back to on, you should here a quick horn honk.

Stand back outside the vehicle and watch it check all of it's funtions.  If there is a problem when it's done it will alert you on the dash.  If not it will just recycle through, when you see the wipers go for the second time just turn the key off.

Pretty darn cool, try it !!

So I just got back from an impromptu meeting with select dealerships from around the country.  It wasn't so much a round table about specific product challenges but more about policies.  Given we had a one day window and then a half day at the plant, it went fast.  We never really spent too much time on a topic.

A few take aways.  They are going to be increasing production, which is great for us.  I saw a lot of passenger vans coming off the line so that would be great thing as the largest complaint was lack of inventory.  

Diesel...."is being thought about, but would cost 10-15k"

Extended.... "is being thought about" but re crash testing and modifications appear to be prohibitively expesnive.

Cab Chassis.... "is being closely considered".  Definately seems to be the most likely to appear next.

An interesting takeaway on the new titan.....All techs will be trained and need to be certified on diesel.  However there will be NO tear downs at the dealership in the event of an issue.  Engine will be removed and sent to cummins, new engine will be installed.  Almost couldn't believe it when they said that.  Good for the consumer.

The plant was amazing, spent a whole bunch of time there.  It was so suprising to see how friendly and happy literally all the employees are at that facility.  There was a bank, doctors office, pharmacy, all built in.  There were robots everywhere driving themselves around with parts, welding, etc etc.  I learned many new things but one thing I did not know is every single nissan is test drove before being approved.  Every other manufacturer cannot claim that.

I have to get caught up at work and can maybe post more later......but again alot of it was internal policy type stuff.

Diesel  :baby:

ok guys, been super busy here and haven't had time to post up......

So the  cool little secret I discovered on the trip.  It's a self diagnostic the vehicle can run.  It's checks everything from blower motor, windshield wiper, lights, horn etc.

Here's how to do it.....

turn the key to the "on" position.  There is a black rubber covered switch on the b pillar for the lights in the cab when you open the door.  Push it exactly ten times.  turn the key to off, wait a second, turn it back to on, you should here a quick horn honk.

Stand back outside the vehicle and watch it check all of it's funtions.  If there is a problem when it's done it will alert you on the dash.  If not it will just recycle through, when you see the wipers go for the second time just turn the key off.

Pretty darn cool, try it !!

Ha - I'm going to run out and do this now! This is awesome!

x

Edited by Jerry

It is pretty cool..lol..You get it to work?

I did - nice party trick. Do you know what's checked during the routine?

It was explained to me as a full systems diagnostic.  So I'm assuming if it cycles through things down to something as minor as windshield wipers, it is running through most all systems that could throw a code and cause a warning light to be initiated.

I know you said Nissan is committed to NV production and may/will add another shift, but what happens when the new Titan starts production? One thing not clear in the promotion of the new Titan. It appears there is a Titan Lite as well.

I went back and re-read sales numbers and what others have said, NVs are doing well. The "cab only" version should do well as well.

Watched Truckumentary #4 and winced big time at what they put the Titan through... Truck Trend gives you access to all 4.

Edited by radin2son

I know you said Nissan is committed to NV production and may/will add another shift, but what happens when the new Titan starts production? One thing not clear in the promotion of the new Titan. It appears there is a Titan Lite as well.

I went back and re-read sales numbers and what others have said, NVs are doing well. The "cab only" version should do well as well.

Watched Truckumentary #4 and winced big time at what they put the Titan through... Truck Trend gives you access to all 4.

There is a confirmed second shift being added for NV production so you can count on that.  Titan production, nor production of any other vehicle will at that plant have an influence on the NV.  The main assembly line will not accommodate the NV so it has it's own dedicated space in the plant where nothing else is assembled.