Sign in to follow this  
KMG

Rear Seating in a cargo van?

Hello, Has any one installed factory mounts and passenger seats in the rear of a cargo van?  All thoughts welcome.  Thanks

Have not done the factory seats. For liability reasons I won't have anything to do with it. I do refer customers to a local upfitter that will do it (apparently complete with engineer sign off "pull test").  

They upfitter gets their seats from http://freedmanseating.com/

I've built many crew vans.  Bates already put up the link for freedman seats.  I have only used them, they are go to in our industry.  Factory seats would probably not be the best choice for several reasons.

I use someone locally that does specialty upfits for people with disabilities, they have to mount seats in custom locations in virtually every vehicle they build so they are top notch.  I definitely would not let just anyone do the work.  In the Nissan world there no "factory approved up fitter lists" like you have with Benz and some others so be very careful with who does the work.

I would not do it yourself for no other reason than liability should you get into an accident and someone gets hurt.  I also advise you not go to standard van upfitter.  Find a mobility vehicle shop, make some calls, check out some work and go from there.

Expect to spend $1300-1700 to install a bench to carry an extra 3 people.

The following is a plumber who literally used to have a 3rd guy riding on a bucket.  That person now has a professionally installed seat with a 3 point belt.  Cost was around $1400 if memory serves.

20150128_135447_HDR_zps5wqzfccg.jpg

20150128_135404_HDR_zpsedg2ivfo.jpg

Has anyone tried to add a third seat in the front row instead of the center console? Would that even be possible?

We used the second row of seats from a Durango. Seat belts as well. I wrote several paragraphs about the process, but then it all went to "internet long reply heaven" and this is what you get instead. 

A picture. My apologies, this is not a luxury vehicle. It is a weekend gear hauling desert bashing camper van. 

o1nTfQHl.jpg