Sign in to follow this  
ASD Dad

Out with the old and in with the new - Toy Hauler on the way!

Wife and I put a deposit down on this rig yesterday - http://forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=200&Image=5377&ModelID=871#Main

Hyper Lite XLR 27HFS - it's a lightweight 30' towable Toy Hauler.

Ours weighs in at 6400# according to the yellow sticker.  Add in 40# of propane and a battery and we'll be around 6500# empty stock.  We're adding in a Happijack rear bed/dinette that weighs about 100# so 6600# off the lot plus a little less tongue weight.  We need two queen beds out back for the kids.  

Tongue weight is a minor concern as the manual specs out at 860#.  I figure once we add in some shelving, our bikes and other gear in the back we'll probably have a couple hundred pounds behind the axle to help.  It's rated to haul a full 2000# in the garage but we dont have any big "toys".

I'm running a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and may up the bars to the next level.  I think mine are rated to top at 800#.  The next runs up to I believe 1200# but havent researched enough.  I dont want them too stiff, too much bar can be as bad or worse than not enough!  

I'm guessing fully loaded for a long trip we'll be around 7500-7700#.  Once we are loaded I'll try and find a CAT to stop at to see how things look overall.  It really should only be about 1000# heavier than our old longer bunkhouse.  

Decided after the 1000 mile trip that the kids are getting bigger, we are taking more "toys" and we could use more room inside the camper.  The 27HFS has a deep slide and the garage is huge with the bed up and dinette folded up.  We can easily pack our dirty bikes, dirty dogs and all the other stuff in the back and then hose it out when done.  Right now we were packing all that inside the camper and it was tight and messy.  That is why I was looking at the big roof racks.  Then we thought about getting 3-5 bikes up there along with other gear and thought a Toy Hauler made sense right now.

They're adding the extra rear bed over the weekend and we get it next week.  Going back to TN in a few weeks so into the mountains with the extra weight.  We'll see how it goes!

I'll post some pics when we get it.

That is AWESOME!  Congrats!  I saw an interesting option in the gallery with a bed so to speak in front for toys.  I don't believe I've ever seen that before.

Picked it up on Friday - 

20150710_152646_resized_zpsp9uup0ac.jpg

The photo is deceptive, the ground slopes on both ends so it really is level.  Definitely feels bigger and heavier than my old Surveyor but there is a lot more room inside!  Going this weekend back into the TN mountains so we'll see how it goes.

Wow, mark me in the "jealous" column! Good for you, enjoy your trip!!

Andy_George put me on the jealous list also.  ASD Dad that's a sweet combination.  Is your van white or silver?  Looking forward to hearing about the maiden voyage.  Good luck.

KMG - my van is silver.  

We're looking forward to the first trip other than the heat.  The day I picked it up it was 106 degrees!  The mountains where we are heading the normal is in the mid to upper 80's.  This weekend is supposed to hit the upper 90's.  Guess we'll see how the upgraded AC unit works out, we were already warned the garage bunk area can get mighty toasty in high temps.  My kids sleep back there so we'll be keeping a close eye on that.  

If I have time I may pull across a CAT scale while out just to see some numbers.  Wife wasnt happy the last time I did that with the old camper so we'll have to see how that goes!  

Got back from our trip through the mountains.  I would LOVE to know how all you heavy haulers are making it effortlessly up grades pulling weigh more weight than I am.  I am guessing I am at 8000# absolutely maxed in my new camper and I bet that is pretty high.  I also installed the Airaid intake prior to this trip as I had issues with my lighter camper at times.  That intake is the best reviewed for our motors on the market with decent gains in HP and TQ.  

On the way up 26 you cross over the Divide, it is a long 6% grade.  I was floored in 3rd gear at 65mph at the start.  By the time I crossed the Divide I had dropped to 55mph.

Next test is the Green River Gorge which is 7% but only about a mile.  Again, started off floored in 3rd gear at 65mph and I more or less maintained that at the crest, maybe dropped 1-2mph.  

In the van - 2 adults, 3 young kids and two large dogs.  I would say 665 lbs for the group of us total.  Had a 75# full cooler in the back and that was about it.  

The NVP does pull it well on gentle grades or flats.  The ride is excellent with the camper in tow and it handles well.  On those hills it was definitely not happy!  

The new Toy Hauler was excellent!  Has way more room inside and it worked out really well for us and we're happy we made the switch.  

Glad your trip went well.  I read about NVs pulling 8,000 -9,000 pounds and I think they may pull that much weight, but won't be happy doing it!

Cutting the four holes for my windows today.  I'm always nervous when cutting the sheet metal of a new vehicle.  I ordered a Fiamma Pro35 awning and enclosure room.  I'm trying to get my van ready to travel. 

Edited by KMG

Hey KMG - if I recall correctly, you have a high roof NV. Please let us know how the awning and room attachment work out for you. Details on how you mount the awning would be very much appreciated.

I have considered that awning but never got past my concerns involving the extra height of the NV.

Have a great time on your upcoming trip.