Sign in to follow this  
Mc2guy

Road Trip MPG Report

Just wrapped up a long weekend in Upstate NY.  900 miles round trip with my Yakima rack and 11' paddleboard on the roof.  Mostly interstate driving at 65-75mph.  Was very surprised to see 16MPG on the way up and nearly 15MPG on the way back (with a lot of stop and go interstate back-ups).  Seem's like the engine is breaking in and starting to loosen up for me.

FWIW I'm at around 9,000 miles and average about 12.3 mpg around town.  I was definitely getting over 400 miles per tank, which is great as far as I'm concerned.  

3500 SL V8

Have any pics of your Yak setup?  Did you build it from parts since they dont offer anything directly compatible?  From researching it looks like it's fairly straight forward - Landing Pads, Q Towers and then bars.

We're getting into kayaking more and need a rack to transport 3 of them.

Yep, landing pad #1, Control-towers (not Q-towers), bars.  I already had the towers and bars and accessories from my previous vehicle... so it was an easy conversion.  I don't have one handy, but I'll try and get a picture of it for you.  Three kayaks would be easy mounted on their side.  I have 84" crossbars on mine and they stick out maybe 2" on each side.

The only real challenge is that you need a step stool/ladder to get everything tied down since you're working at 8'.

With paddle board on rack

post-685-0-76704700-1436577432_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Think I want something a bit larger but that gives a good visual.