Sign in to follow this  
BuyinganNVP

Buying an NVP and want feedback please

Hi,

I have been eyeing the NVPs for a couple years now and we're actually ready to buy one now.

I have options between the 2014 and 2015 models (both new), and the S vs SV.

I had my heart set on the SV, but we found a 2014 S with power package for $3245 less out the door than the 2015 SV with tech package. The dealer would install a  camera in the rearview mirror.

My husband is leaning toward the savings. We've never had built in GPS before, and don't really use bluetooth or xm radio stuff, though if we had it, I'm sure we'd take advantage. He's not particularly interested in spending more to have audio controls on the steering wheel or a couple extra cupholders.

I am unsure about the lack of power-seats for the driver. I'm short, well under 5 feet. Do I need this, or is manual enough? (The vehicle is 4 hours away from us so it's not so simple to do a test drive :( I don't know anyone in the area with an S model either; I have a friend with one 500 miles away but she is significantly taller than me.) My husband thinks power adjusting seats take a long time anyway, so he would prefer not having them. Would I be able to adjust the manual seats enough to drive safely? I adjust my Sienna's seats manually and it works fine for me.

Will we be happy with the after market camera, or will it be annoying? There is also no rear sonar.

Any significant differences between the 2014 and 2015? I don't see much online comparing the 2 years. I know people were complaining about the lock issue on the sliding door; was that fixed in this past model year?

What else should I keep in mind? We'd be financing, so we're talking about a $50/month difference for 5 years.

I personally have never sold an S to a family.  It is definitely aimed at the business market, I have a lot of hotels buying them from me.  If it's a budget issue that is one thing but if I could afford both the SV is a no brainer for a family.  It's a lot more content than just cup holders and and audio controls.  It feels more like a family vehicle than a commercial vehicle, you pick up carpeting, nice non commercial looking wheels, center console with power inverter (which is awesome for a family), power seat, rear sonar, etc,.  To me an S feels like a shuttle, and that's really what it is.  

Aftermarket camera will be hit or miss, more likely miss than hit to me.  I personally would rather have sonar than a backup camera anyways.  90% of aftermarket back up cameras won't even have lines to judge distance and your monitor will clip on over your mirror, it's not even a replacement.  Your stock mirror is still there and then you just have this big thing sitting there.

If you are under 5ft you need a power seat, visibility is key with a large vehicle and I just can't imagine you being comfortable without it.

Lastly, I can't imagine anyone even has a 2014 left.  I sold out of those 8 months ago.  With only a $500 dollar incentive last time I checked I don't know if that would justify a 2014 or 2015. 

Hope that helps.

How to you plan to use your NV? NVs at same dealer?

Despite comments about the tech package, it is worth not having to deal with aftermarket. The wiring is all there, ready for a better nav unit... The nav unit is fine for us. We use Bluetooth but not xm radio. (Refuse to pay any more monthly fees for programs of little interest.) Another reason to go with the 2015 is the software update to the tech package; however, it is not clear what this actually did.

The good thing about the power seat is the ease of adjusting it. The driver's seat is vastly different than the passenger seat, at least in the cargo version. I think this is due the way the passenger seat folds to make work space. It feels too low, or at least much lower than the driver's seat.

Most complaints are about front sonar. My issue is the cost of replacement. Otherwise, they work well with the rear camera.

Check edmunds.com to see if the $500 rebate or whatever is still in effect.

Passenger vans appear to be the big sellers, so if you are looking at a cargo van you should be able to get the price down on the 2015.

4 hours is a long way to travel, so you may want to look at other dealers in other parts of your state (?) or other states. You can use the dealer locator to get their current and pending inventory. The service department and warranty don't care where you bought it.

One last thing to consider is that only NV commercial dealers can service NVs. If you do your own service, this will be less of a problem but you will need to travel for warranty work.

We have a 2012 NV 2500 low top cargo, so someone else will have to compare 2014 to 2015.

No matter which one you pick, you will like it...

Chris -- My friend who has an S loves being able to sweep her non-carpeted floor. My kids are not hooked on technology, so we aren't going to miss all the power ports. The cupholders, perhaps, but my little ones have them in their car seats and won't really reach the cup holders underneath.

Rear sonar does sound like a plus, but how necessary is it if we have a camera?

The after market camera they would be installing would be one integrated into a new rearview mirror. It is color, but you're right that I don't know about grid lines. I wouldn't be having to figure this installation out, as they could do it for me before buying.

radin2son -- I am only looking at passenger vehicles. The closest we found is 2 hours away and the price they were quoting for the one SV they had in stock was $800 more than the similar version 4 hours away (the only difference is the further distance one has no rear carpet mats). There are commercial dealers closer by, they just have none in stock and we need to buy our second vehicle before school starts in 2 weeks.

FWIW, the price difference I mentioned is after all rebates, taxes, dealer fees, etc. Same dealership for both.

Oh, and I forgot to mention usage of the NV -- for the 2 minute car ride to school and back daily, every so often a trip within town with the whole family, and once or twice a year to visit family out of town about 8 hours away...

I didn’t realize I was getting the sonar until my truck was delivered. I probably would have thought it unnecessary too, with the camera, but I find it really handy. If its really sunny, or rainy the video is not so clear. I know others have had sonar issues, but mine works flawlessly.

You don't find it too sensitive, beeping any time it snows or a bug flies in or anything? A friend suggested I try local cargo vans in stock just to see if I need the sonar...which is a great idea, if I can find such a dealer and the time to do it :)

Sometimes you cannot see the screen, sun/dust on it, too much contrast between sun and shade around you and when dark, although back up lights do a good job. There also are times when you should see what is behind you but don't. The rear sonar works well and is not annoying.

Again, my only problem is replacement cost. They are very vulnerable to other cars nudging your bumper, parallel parking or backing out of a space in a parking lot. In DC, people had pads that covered the rear bumper when parked.

My sonar seems to work perfectly, too. I find the front sonar to be the most appreciated. When in a tight parking lot and it's necessary to nose up to a small car or some other bumper height object it's super beneficial to be able to get within 6" when the vehicle is 20' long....

Front sonar is only available on the SL trim, and that's out of our budget.

So it's either aftermarket backup camera with no rear sonar or pay another 3245 and have the factory installed tech package and rear sonar.

Also wondering how much the center console would be missed if we got the S trim. Having free space is nice, and we would still have cup holders, but for long trips, is there any after market "table" or something I could put in between so the driver can reach some snacks easily?

You don't find it too sensitive, beeping any time it snows or a bug flies in or anything? A friend suggested I try local cargo vans in stock just to see if I need the sonar...which is a great idea, if I can find such a dealer and the time to do it :)

Snow and rain have very little affect on my sensors. I don’t have front sensors- maybe thats why I haven’t had issues w/ random beeping. Haven’t had t “debug” them either, although I did have a spider crawling across my backup camera the other day. It was HUGE!

If you decide on the S, and you’re not in a hurry, you could probably find a cheap/free center console on this site. People  take them out all the time.

After reading a bit, it seems we might prefer not having it so we can buckle kids in directly from the front seats without it in the way. I guess I can just put in something with some height and a flat surface like a cooler to use as a "resting" table for a bag of chips or something on long trips. We're going for the S. My husband even thinks that is not cheap. Which is true, considering we've never bought new before, but we're paying less than we would for a full size Chevy or Ford 12 passenger ;) And the camera is being thrown in free of charge.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We put a deposit down on the S. I'll have to get over the looks, I suppose!

For anyone coming across this in google, I just wanted to mention that the dealership told me I'd have to finance it with a commercial loan because it's a commercial vehicle officially. I spoke to my bank who had never had this question before and they told me since it's under 9,999 gross vehicle weight and for personal use, I can get a personal loan.