Sign in to follow this  
BuyinganNVP

Anyone use a step stool instead of running boards for kids?

I warned my husband last night that we would probably need to install running boards, as my kids are all on the short side. But then a simple solution came to me, if it's really that simple -- can I just get one of those folding stools and take it in and out of the car for loading and unloading? Or is that going to be a huge pain and I should cough up the money to buy the running boards?

How small are your kids?  Mine youngest is 3 and on the small side and can climb in and out with no issues.  Of course they used to climb in and out of my Toyota Tundra truck (with step bars)!  

I think the stool would get very annoying after a while.  There is no harm in trying if you have one but I think you'll learn to live without or buy the running boards in short order!

I don't remember heights well but my kids are all under the 10th percentile for height IIRC. My 10 yo is my oldest and starting to wear size 7 pants rolled up...and they just get shorter and shorter the younger they are.

To me, using a stool is not a good idea.  What if you are involved in an accident and the stool injures one of your kids.  Maybe an automatic retractable step might be an option.

How is that a better solution than running boards?

I could have the folding stool attach somehow to the car so it wouldn't be a projectile missle I would think...

My whole family is also on the short side. Is there something about the shortness gene that makes people likely to buy an NV? Hmmmmmm;)

I'd love running boards.... My last van had them, all of our vehicles growing up had them, etc. But I HATE having to always wash and polish them.... They are the first part to get super nasty with Michigan winter salt. And I also hate poking a bunch of mounting holes into an otherwise sealed body structure..... Just inviting more corrosion.

Good points.

I think I'll start with the stool method and if gets annoying, we can always add running boards later; it's not like it comes as an option from the dealer and we'd be losing out by not doing it right away. I'd rather spend $10 on a stool and a little on some type of mounting method and not have it work out than go and spend hundreds if we can steer clear of that :)

My whole family is also on the short side. Is there something about the shortness gene that makes people likely to buy an NV? Hmmmmmm;)

I'd love running boards.... My last van had them, all of our vehicles growing up had them, etc. But I HATE having to always wash and polish them.... They are the first part to get super nasty with Michigan winter salt. And I also hate poking a bunch of mounting holes into an otherwise sealed body structure..... Just inviting more corrosion.

Having spent 16 years in midwest winters (chicago), gosh I feel your pain when you say that.  I had nice wheels on some of my cars when I was younger and couldn't afford a second set.  I would wipe vaseline all over all the chrome after I spray washed it like once every two weeks and I still got corrosion.  It's just simply a losing battle many times.  I do not miss that.

I would first try it out and see if you really need a step. We have 8 kids and our 2 year old gets in and out on his own. We have found no use for a step.