Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Heating, cooling, insulation, ac

We did not have the option of a furnace, and we have not gone with a portable propane heater. It's not that we don't encounter cold weather, we feel there is no safe place nor room to place it. With the Penthouse (ph), it is like having a tent and it can get very cold. When the outside temp is in the teens, it will be in the 20s. To keep warm, we layer during the day and bring our cold weather bags and thermal liners. Still, it is cold until the sun hits you and you have had coffee or tea. As I've said before, the difference between a tent and SMB is that you have a comfortable place to sit.

The ph offers great ventilation, but when it is hot and humid it is... It is cost prohibitive to home build a standard top with a ph. Last time I looked, it will cost close to $8000 for SMB to do this. Add another $1000 for an electric ph. As I get older, we may have to retrofit the electric top. The only savings will be in parts that can be reused.

AC is not an option with a ph. If you install secondary ac on a high top, you pretty much have search for sites with shore power. If a generator can run it, where do you store it?

So, what plans do others have and what works for you? We are interested because after 3 years, we may be approaching replacement. Hope not.

Edited by radin2son