Sign in to follow this  
Daveandbetsyhall

Considering the NV 3500

It just so happens that we conceived child #7 at a fireman's banquet in February. My wife's suburban seats 8 and mine seats 9. The kids are on the tall side and the Subs are a bit cramped. So the mrs found this NV box looking van after I started pricing 15 passenger E350s and Express 3500s. It turns out that she's been doing "drive-bys" at the local Nissan dealer. I found out on a run to the mall with her last week, so since I was driving I said that we ought to stop in and have a look. We didn't drive it but the interior looks and feels far and above the "domestic" choices. It turns out this thing is a domestic product, body (box) and engine. Not sure about the transmission and other components. I suppose I'll call the dealer back tomorrow and see if the "commercial" division will take trade ins, 2. No sense keeping my 3/4 ton Sub if I'm gonna buy a 1 ton van. I think my only concern, besides reliability, is how they handle in the snow - it's nice to have the 4WD 6 months of the year. And the fact that it won't fit in the garage. I wonder if the color red would make this thing look a little prettier. Any haggling advice is appreciated.

Dave,

Lakeville, MN

It just so happens that we conceived child #7 at a fireman's banquet in February. My wife's suburban seats 8 and mine seats 9. The kids are on the tall side and the Subs are a bit cramped. So the mrs found this NV box looking van after I started pricing 15 passenger E350s and Express 3500s. It turns out that she's been doing "drive-bys" at the local Nissan dealer. I found out on a run to the mall with her last week, so since I was driving I said that we ought to stop in and have a look. We didn't drive it but the interior looks and feels far and above the "domestic" choices. It turns out this thing is a domestic product, body (box) and engine. Not sure about the transmission and other components. I suppose I'll call the dealer back tomorrow and see if the "commercial" division will take trade ins, 2. No sense keeping my 3/4 ton Sub if I'm gonna buy a 1 ton van. I think my only concern, besides reliability, is how they handle in the snow - it's nice to have the 4WD 6 months of the year. And the fact that it won't fit in the garage. I wonder if the color red would make this thing look a little prettier. Any haggling advice is appreciated.

Dave,

Lakeville, MN

Didn't get many chances to drive in the snow, and only have about 9k on the clock, but it handles well in the rain, Did you see the passenger van, from what I have seen from pictures it looks nice. I put a bench in the back so I have seating for 5, from a drivers standpoint a really like it. plenty of power! I got it for 1k below sticker. if thats any help.

Congratulations! I was offered "Invoice" on a loaded 3500 cargo. Not quite 7% below sticker. If you make a deal, then have the finance guy print you a copy so you can go line-by-line with him looking for add-ons like VIN number etching on the glass, etc. that you may not want. I was also able to negotiate the price of a Nissan extended warranty down by nearly 20%.

I drove my 1500 sv cargo low roof in a bad snow storm last winter .It hadled very well , better than my previus Chevy Express Van .Not sure i like the red ,i have the silver and it is easy to keep clean .I hope this helps .

Bobby .

I have to agree on the silver color. Mine is white and wished I had waited doe silver. Also look on the Nissanusa.com site. They have some financial offers to consider.

Thanks for the posts. I drove a work truck-van 2 or so months ago but I have not seen many of the passenger vans at my local dealer until just last week - two white ones with V6's. I was able to get my wife in to test drive it since it will be her primary vehicle. She liked it a lot but thought it was a little under-powered compared to her Suburban 1500. Stable, no tipping. Good line of sight laterally but she didn't care for the tall head rests on the rear ten seats. She plans to pull those down the middle and put shorter kids in those seats (all but two). So we ordered one and put down a deposit. The dealer called back and asked if we would take blue, he found one on the November build sheet and it wouldn't arrive until almost January. Either they aren't building very many or they are really hard to get. Still holding out for red. And the colors changed a bit from last year - maybe a lighter shade of the same colors. Dealer also says we can have it for dealer invoice - $1200-1300 below sticker. I didn't think the price was too steep for loaded V8/leather/technology/towing packages. Thanks for the link SiennaVan. And Bobby, it's reassuring to hear that they are stable in the snow. I know it's the heaviest of the vans out there so maybe that helps along with the wide stance. I'll post a picture with the kids when we get it. January or February?

Dave

Awesome, go for it. The way i did my calculations, i could take the price of the NVP, take a thousand dollars (to put in a tuner chip, cold air intake, and high flow air filter) and still come out ahead of the suburban. I say worth it if you are needing anything higher than the 7 passenger vans.