ASD Dad

1400 mile tow report

Just got home from towing a little over 1400 miles with my new Toy Hauler.  Went down to the FL coast (Ormond Beach) for a week and also took the kiddos to Legoland.  Awesome weather and much warmer than expected.  I never expected to be in the ocean without a wetsuit at the end of January!  

Had the typical rolling hills on 385/26S and then it flattened out further south.  So much so that I could easily use the cruise control towing which was nice.  Speeds were around 68mph average while towing and I got 9.2 mpg both going and coming home.  Just about as expected with my worst tank on the rolling hills at around 8.3 mpg.  

Had the full family, both large dogs and the two food coolers in the van.  Everything else was in the camper.  Towed just fine if just a bit soft in the rear of the van.  I have a high tongue weight with the basically empty garage of the TH and I think I may get the next size up spring bars for my Blue Ox or I may get some Timbrens for the van.  Zero sway issues or power issues for the trip other than typical gas engine revving on the uphills.  Some hills were definitely in 3rd gear but it pulled fine.

Side note - trip to Legoland was without camper and I had cruise set at 75 mph.  Got 15.3 mpg on that trip.

Had the Bully Dog setup as normal for my day to day use, no changes for the tow trip and there were no issues with pinging or anything else running 87 octane.

Edited by ASD Dad

Thanks for the report.  Sounds like a great trip.  Topping a hill in 3rd gear always makes me feel like a piston is going to come shooting thru the hood! 

I'm off in the morning to Panama city beach FL with my daughter and her new motorcycle in the van so she can start studying smalltooth sawbilled sharks and their reproductive traits !!! I'll let you know how the V6 low top does with 1500lbs of girl stuff inside @ 80 mph down the road ....

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your daughter!

Did a STUPID thing and did the round trip almost non stop .1012.4 miles ... DUMB ! Filled up when I left , and then again after I unloaded her stuff...44.5 gallons and 1012.4 miles in drizzly weather @ a 63.4 mph average speed (by the display) Netted 22.75 mpg....

I still love my van ....

Glenn

And my girl couldn't be in a better spot for what she's doing , Room in a beachfront condo From a nice gal and her 2 kids, 400.00 all inclusive 'cept food.  5 miles from the research center by a 35mph road ...

Made me feel quite secure when I got to see it all .... :)

Edited by axulsuv