radin2son

Windshield sun screen

Somewhere on this forum, I saw a post about a sunscreen that fits NVs. I think it was from EuroVan, who also sells insulated windshield and driver/passenger window covers for $130. I'm curious about the fit and quality. Are they worth $130?

Been looking at the Covercraft UVS100 on Amazon.  Haven't ordered one, but probably will be the choice to replace the old, worn out, spring-loaded screen that came from another vehicle that we are using now.

http://www.amazon.com/Covercraft-UVS100-Windshield-Sunshade-Laminate/dp/B007V2BLL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1458177060&vehicle=2016-67-21507-124---6-7-18927-3148-8-1-2326-391-3-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2016%3Anissan%3Anv3500

I would like to hear if anyone else has one of these???

Got it - like it - would buy again. It's thick and heavy duty. Close to custom fit - fine for general sun blocking- but not enough length to completely block for conversion van privacy (also, there is that entire area open for the rear view mirror).

I've had this for 2.5 yrs and it has held up very well. I do wish it had a slip case for storage.

Do a search on this forum - seems like someone mentioned a source for this that also offered a case.

Wollip, do you have the driver/passenger window screens as well? If so, what holds them in place and do they stay in place.

EuroVan also sells screens for the rear door and slider windows, but not for the NVP rear windows or window opposite the slider on the driver's side.

The photos on their site show a Sprinter with what appears to be full windshield coverage.

It's not EuroVan.

Go to www.eurocampers.com

Edited by radin2son

I have homemade shades for my cab door windows.

They are made starting with the cheapest folding windshield shade that Walmart sells. I spray glued fabric to the inside surface of it and cut it to fit.

Had an upholstery shop run some bias tape around the outside edges and they also stitched a line along each crease fold.

They just friction fit into place and so far they have always stayed put.

The bias tape helps with durability.

We have dual (privacy and "black out") accordion shades for the rear passenger side window and widow across from the slider. The rest have cloth shades that snap in; they do nothing to reflect heat, but may keep things a little warmer in colder weather. Mainly, I'm looking for something for the windshield and will probably go will self made ones for the driver/passenger window. The bias tape is a good idea

Another SMB owner mentioned the pop top cloth shades are great for shadow puppet shows, but warned us they are not so great for adult activities.

I ordered the r6 insulated windshield and drier/passenger window sun screens. $130 with free shipping. There is no cut out for the rear view mirror. If these work out I may order the rear door window and slider sun screens ($135).

The standard sun screen (mirror cut out) costs $40.

www.eurocampers.com

The window screens arrived today. No case, but that was not an issue for us. We have a place to stash them behind the driver's seat and counter cabinet. Keep in mind these mostly will be used when parked or camping for an extended period.

Windshield screen has a narrow mirror cutout; otherwise it might be hard to get it in place. You stuff the relartively small portion of the top/side edges under the headliner and A pillars. Good fit and little light will get out or in.

The side windows were a surprise. I expected them to be the size of the window, but they are the size of the door window frame. They supply Velcro to fasten them in 3 or more places to the door frame, but there is another way to hold them in place. If you shut the door most of the way and hold them in place, shut the door; they will stay in place. The fit is good. The negative is they will fall out when you open the door, but with a bin this isn't the way to normally get in and out when camping. We have some left over magnets from our side door project if it becomes annoying.

We plan to use them all the time, at least for the windshield. The cabin area seems really open, unlike the curtain than snaps in place around the side windows and wind screen. If it is really hot and buggy, the skeeterbeaters will not work with the insulated side screens in place.

Not sure about getting the side and rear door insulated screens ($135). If they made insulated screens for all the windows, this would be as easy choice. We may try Wollip's solution.

No go on the rear and side door screens. If you have installed the CRLaurence louvered windows, the window handles will get in the way. $135 is too expensive to cut holes in. (If someone plans to buy 2 rear sets, let me know and I will buy the rear door screens from you.)

The driver/passenger door window screens, if the sun is from the rear, will fit the rear door windows but will need something to hold them is place.

So we are going to cut an old screen we have to fit the rear windows. What is left over can be used for passenger side door window or the poptop windows facing the sun.

Trying to keep heat in when the poptop is up is a lost cause. We mainly wanted the front screens to cut down on heat building in the cab. These will do that...

Rear windows are not the same size; right side is smaller and I had to cut down the left side template. I guess that is why NVs have so much glass across the back. Probably cheaper as well.

Also had to leave a cut outs around the defrost connections.

Only way to keep them in place is Velcro. I don't have much confidence that these will hold during our hot summers. For this reason, we will only use these when traveling. When it is parked at home in our carport, I use cut to fit photo mounting board that is held in place by the curtains. This mainly is to cut down on sun fading.

Cutting down an old windshield sun screen isn't very elegant looking but should work. On the SMB forum, someone used similar silver insulation sold in rolls. If they sell it by the yard, it would be worth doing with better materials.

Thought I'd post some photos of our solution for window covers. These are DIY (with the help of an upholstery shop that attached the bias tape).

The windows in the two cab doors and the side slider accept a friction fit solution.

We made the two for the back doors oversized so that they could span across the flat areas. They attach with rare earth magnets that are glued in place. The blue is a layer of painters tape to help protect the paint from the magnets.

Thin, fan fold windshield sunshade - upholstery fabric - spray adhesive - bias tape - and the help of an upholstery shop. Total cost to cover five windows - approx $120. Add the cost of scotch guard if needed or wanted.

post-341-0-51717500-1459726463_thumb.jpeg

post-341-0-95151100-1459726483_thumb.jpeg

post-341-0-51875400-1459726525_thumb.jpeg

post-341-0-12135100-1459726549_thumb.jpeg

Nice job.

My effort is more along the lines to see what will work. I had a very old, large, unused screen that I used.

For the rear window screen, I was able to save some of the factory seam tape. For the rest of the cut, I used metal duct repair tape ($6 for a 10 yard roll) on the edges.

Euricamper recommends this tape for repairs. It pretty much disappears and takes on the texture of the screen.

The front screens made by Eurocamper have cloth tape that the supplied Velcro (hook only) attaches to, which could tear overtime. We may try some of those glue on Velcro dots on the side windows screens...

Thanks for the info guys!

Just bought the euro campers 3 pc set, gonna be over $200 by the time it gets here. But if it works and lasts then it was worth it. I will post some pics when it arrives. Also for anyone else contemplating on getting some enter "PROMO13" for 5% off.

The windshield shade fits well, held in place by the headliner and A pillars. There is a gap under the rear view mirror.

Side shades stay in place when you gently close the doors on them. Stay in place until you open the door. This works for us...

Möbius makes in house, Sprinter only, shades that have magnets sewn it. Good application for the front doors. We have some extra magnets from the side door screen we made. If we can figure out a way to attach them, I will post the results.