Hi All,

I'm Ed and I am getting close to buying a van to build a DIY camper van conversion.  My choices are either Nissan NV3500, Mercedes Sprinter, or Ford Transit.  I plan on doing a full camper conversion that includes wet bath, galley, and sleeping for 2.  I have done a preliminary layout and the NV is a little limited due to length, but I think I have fit everything in,

I want to choose the Nissan due to several factors including cost, warranty, ease of maintenance.

However, I have a question about warranty work.  Can it be done at any dealer, or just Commercial dealers?

Commercial dealers for all things from oil changes to mechanical. You can do your own service but for warranty work only at commercial dealers. Plan your service and camping trips around NV dealerships, or at least know where they are. We have had excellent service, often just showing up, when traveling.

Customer service also is commercial, separate from Nissan. I imagine the reps may be separate as well.

If is a part you need, any Nissan dealership can order it for you.

You are right about the missing 2' in NVs. It is a tight fit even without a wet bath. The big plus is it is a truck, very durable and reliable. It has a solid feel on the highway and dirt roads.

Commercial dealers for all things from oil changes to mechanical. You can do your own service but for warranty work only at commercial dealers. Plan your service and camping trips around NV dealerships, or at least know where they are. We have had excellent service, often just showing up, when traveling.

Customer service also is commercial, separate from Nissan. I imagine the reps may be separate as well.

If is a part you need, any Nissan dealership can order it for you.

You are right about the missing 2' in NVs. It is a tight fit even without a wet bath. The big plus is it is a truck, very durable and reliable. It has a solid feel on the highway and dirt roads.

radin2son,

Thanks for your reply.  Has servicing on the road ever been a problem?  I found a Commercial dealer locator:

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/dealer-locator

that is a big help, especially since it is vehicle-specific.

I suspect I would do my own work after the warranty period, but the 5 yr/100k mile warranty is another plus for the Nissan.  Knowing that parts can be obtained from any dealer is helpful as well.

Have the commercial dealers given you any grief over doing your own maintenance?  I've never had to deal with a commercial/fleet service department before.

Ed,

Radin2son said it correctly - "it's a truck".

Go with the Nissan and you'll not regret it. These vehicles have been so reliable that your interaction with commercial will be minimal. If you do need them, they stand behind their product.

Best of luck with the build. Keep us posted on your progress.

In addition to the advantages already posted, We felt the additional leg and overall cab space was nice.  Especially in a vehicle you intend to spend many hours driving.  Best of luck.

Ed,

Radin2son said it correctly - "it's a truck".

Go with the Nissan and you'll not regret it. These vehicles have been so reliable that your interaction with commercial will be minimal. If you do need them, they stand behind their product.

Best of luck with the build. Keep us posted on your progress.

Yeah, that's the gut feeling I am getting regarding the Nissan- that it will be dead reliable.  I don't get the same feeling about the Mercedes after what I have read about the DEF diesel problems.

Thanks for your reply.

In addition to the advantages already posted, We felt the additional leg and overall cab space was nice.  Especially in a vehicle you intend to spend many hours driving.  Best of luck.

My wife and I drove the Nissan NV2500 cargo and felt the same way.  It was a V6 which is not what I would want- I would want a NV3500 with the V8 for a Quigley 4x4 conversion.  Speaking of, I notice from your profile you have the same exact config I need including the Quigley conversion; how do you like it?  How was your experience with Quigley?

No problems with service on the road. For an oil change you get the express service just like you were driving an Altima. Some dealers include a car wash, but with NVs that means hand wash. I don't make a big deal if they don't have the time to do this. They get you back out on the road quickly. Expect lots of questions about your conversion.

Go with Mobil 1 as this will extend the time you need to search for a dealership.

I doubt you will get any grief about doing your own service. I have yet to have anyone ask where I last had it serviced. The 1 Tucson dealership knows only about their service and that my mileage is close to recommended service intervals. Of course, keep your documentation in the event you have a warranty issue or as Chris_cm mentioned in another post, a catastrophic engine failure.

There have been few recalls since 2012 and all were taken care of quickly. It helps us having commercial users who need their trucks back yesterday. Warranty issues included a recalled rear door latch that had to be replace a second time, a broken glove box latch and emmisions sensor. The latter was fixed on the road in NC (Chris_cm) after the 36k warranty expired. I paid for this, had my home town dealer document that this had been on ongoing problem and filed with commercial customer service; they reimbursed me. Dealing with commercial customer service, a contracted call center, was a challenge, but may have improved. There are very few reports of problems. The 100k warranty would have covered this. Forget the Nissan and federal emissions warranty; they are too convoluted.

You didn't ask but overall mpg is around 14 mpg for the V8 and 17+ for the V6. Go with the V8. Since you are also looking at the Sprinter and Transit, what have you learned about their mpg?

The missing 2'. It's there, longer hood. Easy engine access and leg room.

Edited by radin2son

I didn't have any direct dealings with Quigley.  When I was in the market for a NV to convert to 4x4, Quigley's production schedule was 8 weeks for delivery.  I called Quigley and asked if they knew of any Nissan dealers stocking NVs already converted.  They suggested John Howard Nissan in Morgantown, WV and Apple Nissan in York, PA. I flew to WV and drove the NV back.  The Quigley 4x4 and the NV have been flawless from 85 mph highway speed in Wyoming, to an off road 4x4 mountain pass in the Tetons, and the sea level beach we drove on in the Olympic peninsula.  Replacing the stock Transforce tires with Duratracs and an air box mod are the only non conversion upgrades I have performed....so far.  Ask questions or PM me if you need any assistance.  Kevin

P.S. Allegiant airline has very reasonable flights from Orlando to Springfield, MO.. You are welcome to drive mine.   

Edited by KMG

You didn't ask but overall mpg is around 14 mpg for the V8 and 17+ for the V6. Go with the V8. Since you are also looking at the Sprinter and Transit, what have you learned about their mpg?

Seems like the Sprinter claims to get 18-25ish MPG (not sure I totally believe that, but it is diesel so kinda apples and oranges anyway).  The Transit seems to be 16-22MPG but I have also read that loaded down (like a camper) and with your foot in the throttle the fuel economy suffers.  I'm not sure I like all the high-tech electronics on the Ford and Mercedes.

I didn't have any direct dealings with Quigley.  When I was in the market for a NV to convert to 4x4, Quigley's production schedule was 8 weeks for delivery.  I called Quigley and asked if they knew of any Nissan dealers stocking NVs already converted.  They suggested John Howard Nissan in Morgantown, WV and Apple Nissan in York, PA. I flew to WV and drove the NV back.  The Quigley 4x4 and the NV have been flawless from 85 mph highway speed in Wyoming, to an off road 4x4 mountain pass in the Tetons, and the sea level beach we drove on in the Olympic peninsula.  Replacing the stock Transforce tires with Duratracs and an air box mod are the only non conversion upgrades I have performed....so far.  Ask questions or PM me if you need any assistance.  Kevin

P.M. Allegiant airline has very reasonable flights from Orlando to Springfield, MO.. You are welcome to drive mine.   

Kevin, thanks for your offer!   Great info and I appreciate your insight.

Our "loaded down" camper has averaged 15.4 mpg for 58,000+ miles. Our last 1200 mile trip, hot and mountains, was 16.2 mpg.

We're more interested in where is the next town and is it big enough to get fuel. Price and mpg don't factor in until after we get home...

These are really nice sturdy vehicles. Love this van.

I also have 1/2 ton Tundra with 14 inch brakes and I couldn't believe that every single manufacturer EXCEDPT Nissan offers 1-ton van brakes that are substantially smaller than 1/2 ton Tundra brakes. 

You will not get grief over doing your own maintenance.  I have many clients that do.  If you have some sort of catastrophic failure and have always done your own maintenance there would need gross negligence and that fact would have to be proven for you to not have coverage during your warranty period.

I completely understand about the restricted size vs some of our peers.   However, it's just a question of how much you want to pay, or quite possibly be inconvenienced for that extra space.  If you can get what you need in the space the NV provides it is a no brainer.

Personally, if you HAD to have the extra space I'd probably go with the sprinter if you could afford it.  It's quieter and rides better than the Ford.  More importantly, there are also soooooo many people that have done what you are looking to do with that vehicle so there is such a wealth of info to help you on your project.

Chris_ cm, I'm surprised you "probably" would go with a Sprinter for the extra space. Over the course of a year long test, a 2012 averaged 18.6 mpg with service at $1200 (2 oil changes). Ignoring maintenance, that is not a great mpg return for a $38,000+ basic cargo van. I think our V8 NV mpg is close enough to the Sprinter and Transit to set this comparison aside.

Edgar, Why are you looking at the 3500 NV? We have a 2500 and I think most camperized NVs are 2500s. Could be wrong. I think the 2500 will be up for whatever you put inside.

If space is indeed an issue and you can wait, see if Nissan will be introducing a 2017 extended version. Chris_cm has hinted at this along with a cutoff version and a few other things. Nissan is conservative and any changes will be for commercial users...

You will not get grief over doing your own maintenance. I have many clients that do. If you have some sort of catastrophic failure and have always done your own maintenance there would need gross negligence and that fact would have to be proven for you to not have coverage during your warranty period.

I completely understand about the restricted size vs some of our peers. However, it's just a question of how much you want to pay, or quite possibly be inconvenienced for that extra space. If you can get what you need in the space the NV provides it is a no brainer.

Personally, if you HAD to have the extra space I'd probably go with the sprinter if you could afford it. It's quieter and rides better than the Ford. More importantly, there are also soooooo many people that have done what you are looking to do with that vehicle so there is such a wealth of info to help you on your project.

Good to hear I will not catch flack over doing my own maintenence.

Regarding the Sprinter, I've read a number of concerns over the total cost to own, centered mainly on non-warranty repairs (and even costly oil changes using MB-specific oil)!

So although i like the strength in numbers of sprinter conversions, the total cost to own is a turnoff.

Chris_ cm, I'm surprised you "probably" would go with a Sprinter for the extra space. Over the course of a year long test, a 2012 averaged 18.6 mpg with service at $1200 (2 oil changes). Ignoring maintenance, that is not a great mpg return for a $38,000+ basic cargo van. I think our V8 NV mpg is close enough to the Sprinter and Transit to set this comparison aside.

Edgar, Why are you looking at the 3500 NV? We have a 2500 and I think most camperized NVs are 2500s. Could be wrong. I think the 2500 will be up for whatever you put inside.

If space is indeed an issue and you can wait, see if Nissan will be introducing a 2017 extended version. Chris_cm has hinted at this along with a cutoff version and a few other things. Nissan is conservative and any changes will be for commercial users...

I'm definitely going to do a Quigley conversion on my van as I require the 4wd to get to my home. That is the only reason MB is in the mix, because they already offer factory 4x4. So i figured the NV3500 would be required.

I would LOVE to see a 2017 extended version cargo van and would buy one immediately. Would solve my biggest problem.

Nissan has been hinting at something for awhile.  We have no idea what and if we will see that something.  An extended makes sense for alot of reasons and our current wheelbase would allow for it technically speaking.  Other somethings, are cab chassis, diesels, etc.

Not to go off topic, but if you needed more wheelbase I'm buying the benz with my own money.  I sold them so maybe I'm partial, but I saw them used everyday, with a TON of miles and am ok with saying that with the way that I know I could take care of it I'd get 500,000 miles out of it.  I regularly walked the lot and would walk someone past an old sprinter that would have anything between 400-600k on it and it was still going.  If neglected there wouldn't be a darn thing working on it (like windows, locks, etc ha), but you'd put the key in give it gas and it'd go.  The FORD or the Dodge I don't believe I would feel comfortable making that statement, too many unknowns.  And yes, it will take money to get it there but engine and tranny you should be ok.  So generally speaking no MAJOR repairs.  I do however have a mechanical background and can wrench so maybe that makes a diff.

Again with that said.  The Nissan is so many light years in front of it's peers in terms of reliability, initial cost, cost of ownership, build quality,warranty, service prices post warranty, ease of replacing the parts if service is needed (truck front end), etc etc etc etc    if the space works, it's a no brainer.    :)

Nissan has been hinting at something for .......

Again with that said. The Nissan is so many light years in front of it's peers in terms of reliability, initial cost, cost of ownership, build quality,warranty, service prices post warranty, ease of replacing the parts if service is needed (truck front end), etc etc etc etc if the space works, it's a no brainer. :)

Thanks for the info. So when does Nissan Commercial role out their new model year?

After reading thru past posts on this forum as well as on other forums whose members have specific interests in cargo vans (like expediter forums), it would seem that Nissan has been teasing an extended van, diesel engine, and other enhancements literally since the introduction of the NV.  Seems unlikely that anything will happen for the 2017 model year. 

There were a lot of comments on the expediter forum (guys who works as independent contractors and ship stuff for companies like fedex) that they disliked the NV because it cannot fit a third pallet as some of the other vans can.  More pallets = more money for them.

If the 2016 NV meets your needs, all the more reason to get one...

Question specifically for you guys that have NV campers (and anyone else out there who has one is welcome to chime in):

Where are the gray waters tanks located on your rigs?  And what is the size/volume?

thanks, Ed

Left side in middle of panel between driver door pillar and gas filler. Same for shore power and city water input. Gray water tank is tiny, maybe 2+ gallons. There may be room for a larger tank, but you will have to crawl under to see for yourself.

Best bet is to check the Sportsmobile orientation videos for the NV and Sprinter. Google both on YouTube or Vimeo. Both will show what you can anticipate needing/wanting in a campervan, not just SMBs.

I would not go with a wet bath and black water tank. Lumpy bits and need to wear gloves were enough for me...

KMG, the NV SMB video will give you a better idea of ph room.

Edited by radin2son

My plan is currently to have no black water tank (composting C-Head toilet), and both fresh water and gray water tanks mounted above the floor of the van. I think due to gravity flow and the need for a p-trap under the shower, i will need to change my design and move the gray water tank under the van floor.

I crawled under an NV at the dealer and it looked like there was an area (where you described) where the gray water tank could be nested between the frame rail and outer body. It certainly didn't look liked a huge space. I tried to photograph the space but the pics didn't turn out well.

Think about where you plan to use your campervan, particularly in terms of needs and the size of your water tank. If you primarily will be in campgrounds that have water hookups, then you can get by with a smaller tank. We have a 20 gallon tank on the floor under the rear seat/bed and carry 10+ gallons of drinking water in gallon containers. This way we can deal with the absence of water hookups out west. Still need to find places to fill up...

The size of the gray water tank in that small area may not be that important. If there is a sewer hookup, you can use a short garden hose or use a pan underneath and dump the gray water into the sewer. There are other legal places to dump the water pan as well. We use a pan and when not in use it holds the power cord and water hose.

Edgar -

We replaced our chemical toilet with the Laveo Toilet by Dry Flush - bought it from teardropshop.com . Expensive compared to the chemical toilet we had but this one actually feels like a real toilet. We keep the cartridges on hand (maybe for an extended stay in a national park) but normally just line the bowl with plastic bags and pet pads. It's just for emergencies anyway. Disposal is no different than throwing away a baby diaper.

That cavity discussed is definitely the spot for a small tank (unless you want to move the spare tire. Take a look at plastic-mart.com . They have a section labeled Rectangular Water and Waste Tanks that may be just what you need.

How much for the Laveo inserts? I was sold on a cartidge toilet until i started adding up the cost. Is the Laveo a urine diverter or does everything go "in the bag"?