gailsdash

1500 SV where to put the spare?

Hi Everyone!

I just bought a 1500 NV SV Standard Roof and it's at the conversion shop while we scratch our heads. I hope more great minds can help! I was led to believe that this model of the NV Cargo would be perfect to convert. I want to transport 4 big dogs to dogs shows in their plastic crates. I want an auxiliary air conditioner run by a generator that will keep the dogs comfortable in the van for up to 4 hours. I want to leave my gear stowed in the van between shows. I want some open space to put stuff if I do a Costco or Supermarket run.

Surprisingly, the only way the crates will fit is if we build a platform to raise them above the wheel wells. Then two 700 crates will sit side by side facing the rear doors. Two more 500s will fit behind the driver's seat facing the side door. Some of the gear (wire crates, grooming table) will fit under the platform. Budget prevents me from having storage options above the smaller crates.

Now the problem: the spare tire will be removed from under the van to install the generator (Onan 2.8 microlite). The obvious plan was to install it on the drivers side rear door, but it covers the camera. The shop's idea was to install it INSIDE that rear door in front of the dog's crate door. They must not be dog owners if they think I doing all this and then forcing my dog to breath tire fumes before arriving at the show grounds! The shop's second idea was on top of the one of the pair of crates, I assume suspended from the ceiling of the van. Well, *I* don't want to smell tire for hours either!

I'm hoping the community can offer me some ideas that the professionals can't seem to come up with!

Oh, and while you are thinking, he gashed his head on the rear door latch and needed 8 stitches, what have others done to avoid that (other than duck)?

Thanks in advance, very, very, much!

Gail

Hi Everyone!

I just bought a 1500 NV SV Standard Roof and it's at the conversion shop while we scratch our heads. I hope more great minds can help! I was led to believe that this model of the NV Cargo would be perfect to convert. I want to transport 4 big dogs to dogs shows in their plastic crates. I want an auxiliary air conditioner run by a generator that will keep the dogs comfortable in the van for up to 4 hours. I want to leave my gear stowed in the van between shows. I want some open space to put stuff if I do a Costco or Supermarket run.

Surprisingly, the only way the crates will fit is if we build a platform to raise them above the wheel wells. Then two 700 crates will sit side by side facing the rear doors. Two more 500s will fit behind the driver's seat facing the side door. Some of the gear (wire crates, grooming table) will fit under the platform. Budget prevents me from having storage options above the smaller crates.

Now the problem: the spare tire will be removed from under the van to install the generator (Onan 2.8 microlite). The obvious plan was to install it on the drivers side rear door, but it covers the camera. The shop's idea was to install it INSIDE that rear door in front of the dog's crate door. They must not be dog owners if they think I doing all this and then forcing my dog to breath tire fumes before arriving at the show grounds! The shop's second idea was on top of the one of the pair of crates, I assume suspended from the ceiling of the van. Well, *I* don't want to smell tire for hours either!

I'm hoping the community can offer me some ideas that the professionals can't seem to come up with!

Oh, and while you are thinking, he gashed his head on the rear door latch and needed 8 stitches, what have others done to avoid that (other than duck)?

Thanks in advance, very, very, much!

Gail

This is where a high top would have come in handy. Roof mount, have him weld a mounting bracket up there! and put the tire up top

The roof bows are not designed to carry much weight. I think the installer is taking the easy way out using the spare tire location. They need to be more creative in finding an alternate location for mounting the generator.

They need to be more creative in finding an alternate location for mounting the generator.

I'm in California so there is probably a some restriction on where it can be mounted and how it can be vented. I can't reuse my perfectly fine Onan 2.8 microlite because it's not C.A.R.B. compliant. That new generator took a big chunk out of my conversion budget.

We have now suggested a swing out from the passenger side rear door, similar to what is done with JEEPs. Shop took it to their "heavy fabrication" guy and he said he could do it.

As that cargo door normally will open wide enough to lay flat against the side of the van, can you think of anything I'd want to have as part of the mechanism to prevent the thing or tire from hitting the van or springing the door hinge? Maybe if I want the tire to swing totally away to open the cargo door all the way it locks so it's inline with the door and can't move independently of the door?

Any thoughts?

And all I wanted to do was have separate air conditioning to keep my dogs safe. Why doesn't the "build your Nissan" feature work for the millions of people who travel with their dogs? Hope they don't think we all strap them to the roof! :idea:

I'm having trouble picturing how a swing-out will work on a sliding door. So, am I understanding correctly that the purpose of the generator is for rear air conditioning? Here is a video showing a rear unit that operates off the factory system.

I'm having trouble picturing how a swing-out will work on a sliding door.

The swing out will be mounted on the rear.. door or bumper, I don't know yet. The rear doors themselves fold all the way back to the side of the van, like this: http://www.thedetroi...-Rear-Doors.jpg

That's what I'm trying to figure out..... how should the tire swing on the mount when the rear door is open so it doesn't damage the side of the van? And yes, I hadn't thought of it, interfere with the sliding door.

I've figured out how to attach a file now (a bit late) so I've attached his mock up showing WHY the spare can't be on the rear doors and his suggestion that it be mounted inside the driver's side door. The very bottom photo shows the distance between the tire and the dog crate. The wire door has not yet been installed in the opening of the dog crate, but the dog will be riding facing the rear of the van so that is how close his face would be to tire if I went with his suggestion.

Also attached is the photo of the latch he stepped up into and sliced his scalp open. The laceration needed 8 stitches to close up.

So, am I understanding correctly that the purpose of the generator is for rear air conditioning? Here is a video showing a rear unit that operates off the factory system.

Depending on the ambient temperature and conditions on the show grounds, sometimes it is necessary to keep the dogs in the van in the parking lot for several hours. Of course one of those Class A motorhomes with slideouts where you and Fluffy, Muffy, & Rex can nap between judging times would be ideal, but not in the budget! So I need air conditioning that runs independently of the van engine or battery. It's also nice to have an ac power source in the middle of a parking lot if you need it.

Thanks,

Gail

Spare Tire Location Mock Up.pdf

post-183-0-92838300-1339625456_thumb.jpg

The spare and carrier are weight that the rear door was never designed to carry, so over time the door will sag. If the carrier is designed to swing totally out in line with the door, then the effect is multiplied. My wife can hold our 20 lb Westie for awhile comfortably. She cannot do so for long with her arms outstretched. I'm sorry, I just don't see how that is a good solution for you. Since you won't be strapping dogs to the roof :speedie: , perhaps a roof rack to mount the spare?

Maybe have them build a "swing-down" spare tire carrier that mounts it's hinge points to the back bumper and its latch/ lock on the rear door. Could serve double duty as a work table when parked ?

Just a thought ,

Glenn

Make a hitch receiver mount unit for spare, with ball to attach trailer.

Edited by kitcarlson

Maybe have them build a "swing-down" spare tire carrier that mounts it's hinge points to the back bumper and its latch/ lock on the rear door. Could serve double duty as a work table when parked ?

Just a thought ,

Glenn

I really LIKE this idea Glenn! With the cautions about the added weight causing the door or roof to sag, how do I know that an upfitter is Nissan qualified to build or mount anything to my van? I hate to go into the dealership with a crumbled door and get that "Lady, what the hell were you thinking?" look when the dealership was the one who recommended the upfitter!

Thanks,

Gail

Edited by gailsdash