Randucci

Custom fabricated roof rack mounts.....

I wanted to mount some Yakima Streamline aero crossbars so I could add a few roof top accessories (awning, solar panel and Road shower). The yakima mounting system for the four cross bars I wanted to mount would have been over $600 and that didn't even include the cross bars! I ended up fabricating all my own mounting hardware so it would be the way I wanted it. All the components are either stainless steel or aluminum. I first fabricated the aluminum mounting blocks. These were made from a solid piece of aluminum bar, cut to length and then shaped in a aero configuration to cut drag, reduce noise and match the Yakima Streamline cross bars. I then made the stainless square nuts to go under the eight (four on each side) factory Nissan mounting brackets on the roof. The were sized so that they fit tightly and didn't rotate when lightning them making it not necessary to get a wrench on them to hold them. The stainless "T" slot bolts were next, which slide into the Yakima Streamline cross bars to fasten them to the aluminum mounts. Last were the four stainless brackets that were needed to mount the James Baroud awning. Since the van is a high roof, I needed to angle the bracket down some so it wouldn't go straight out, otherwise the end poles would have been too short. Plus, I wanted some angle on the awning for water run off and shade.

Here are a some pictures of the mounting hardware:

https://photos.googl...2NxdGtObWJ0Rkxn

For some reason, i can't upload individual pictures (which hasn't been a problem in the past), I get this error "The server returned an error during upload." Anyone else having a problem posting pictures? Any ideas what is going on?

Edited by Randucci

Picture link posted in the first thread.

Edited by Randucci

None of the links work for me, all get 404 not found on server errors.

Not sure about the photos not posting, like I said in the other post - I cant get any feedback from the higher ups at the site admin level.

None of the links work for me, all get 404 not found on server errors.

Not sure about the photos not posting, like I said in the other post - I cant get any feedback from the higher ups at the site admin level.

Let me know if you can see these:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP9yoJ-pIj6g-IDaFju_Ymd2RcZite02yBM3d0mAOCdmAvExS4w9a7SZuOqjZZHHw?key=MHFsdlZ6dEpTM1Y3S3RJdEtkd2NxdGtObWJ0Rkxn

Edited by Randucci

That album worked great!  That is really nice work, awesome job.  

Thanks for the photos of the roof mounts.

Still trying to figure out what it looks like on top of that roof and why the attachment is so complex vs just a bolt down ?

Is it sort of like a T slot arrangement?

Best bet is to climb up and see for yourself or PM diy conversion solar posts. 

On 11/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, radin2son said:

Best bet is to climb up and see for yourself or PM diy conversion solar posts. 

Thank you for replying.

Of course climbing up on top is ideal, but the van owner is 2 hrs drive away and does not own a ladder.

I think that I am starting to understand what it looks like.

Basically upside down U shaped straps with a hole in them for a bolt.

If that is the case, then the brackets that I use on the sprinters and Transits will also work.  Hopefully.