Grace6400

Swivel seat?? Can it be done??

I've converted my Nissan NV 2500 into a campervan I'd like to have the passenger seat swivel. Has anyone ever done this question mark can it be done? Anyone in Oregon or on the west coast that does it?

It

Edited by evac05

Yes, the Swivelsrus swivel seems to be the only game in town for the NV. I installed one in ours and we're happy with it. Installation instructions could have used a bit more detail, but the install was fairly straightforward. Another member here recently installed a swivel and put together a detailed writeup of the process. Look in the "Interior" section of this forum.

I found another source for swivel base for the NV.  I tried to buy from swivelsRus and they are out of stock for months and also expensive and hard to deal with.  Then I found them at http://www.discountvantruck.com/  for $249 (half of what SwivelsRus is charging).  I'll post again after I install on how well it works.

I installed the swivel from Discountvantruck.com today.  The swivel arrived without any instructions or documentation whatsoever, just a swivel in a box with some nuts and bolts.  But is is very heavy duty and worked fine for half the price of swivelsRus.  I found it easier to remove the entire seat and base assembly first and then separate the base from the seat, I had a few issues if anybody is considering this swivel.  (1) There is no accommodation for the bar that engages the manual seat slider so my first pass at install the bar is up against the swivel so the slider won't work.  My solution is to remove the seat base and spread the sides to remove the bar that activates the slider.  Then reinstall that bar UPSIDE DOWN.  That lowers the pivot creating a little room to move.  Also, add a couple washers to each of the 8 threaded posts to raise the swivel up ~1/8th inch.  Finally, you may need to bend the bar just a little so that it arches a little more toward the floor in it's upside down position.  (2) the wiring hole in the center bolt of the swivel is too narrow for the wiring harness to pass through.  So after unplugging the 2 harnesses, I snipped off the plugs on the wire coming from the floor (not on the seats) and I spliced in a generous extension for each wire on the 2 plugs.  then I plugged them back into the seat wiring harness, fed the wires through the hole, and connected each wire to it's original source wire.  The airbag light turns off after the car starts, so seems to be working.  Last item is the plastic trim on the right side of the seat.  It will not go back on properly with the swivel so I had to trim just shy of a half inch off the bottom.  Total install time more like 3 hours, not the half hour listed on the website, but it's in and works great.

In 2016, I bought the same swivel seat and installed it in a few hours.  It requires a little bit of grinding and welding for the modification.  It was well worth the effort.  Anybody in San Francisco that would like to do the same, I can show you my swivel seat conversion.

On 10/3/2019 at 2:54 PM, Bilco said:

I installed the swivel from Discountvantruck.com today.  The swivel arrived without any instructions or documentation whatsoever, just a swivel in a box with some nuts and bolts.  But is is very heavy duty and worked fine for half the price of swivelsRus.  I found it easier to remove the entire seat and base assembly first and then separate the base from the seat, I had a few issues if anybody is considering this swivel.  (1) There is no accommodation for the bar that engages the manual seat slider so my first pass at install the bar is up against the swivel so the slider won't work.  My solution is to remove the seat base and spread the sides to remove the bar that activates the slider.  Then reinstall that bar UPSIDE DOWN.  That lowers the pivot creating a little room to move.  Also, add a couple washers to each of the 8 threaded posts to raise the swivel up ~1/8th inch.  Finally, you may need to bend the bar just a little so that it arches a little more toward the floor in it's upside down position.  (2) the wiring hole in the center bolt of the swivel is too narrow for the wiring harness to pass through.  So after unplugging the 2 harnesses, I snipped off the plugs on the wire coming from the floor (not on the seats) and I spliced in a generous extension for each wire on the 2 plugs.  then I plugged them back into the seat wiring harness, fed the wires through the hole, and connected each wire to it's original source wire.  The airbag light turns off after the car starts, so seems to be working.  Last item is the plastic trim on the right side of the seat.  It will not go back on properly with the swivel so I had to trim just shy of a half inch off the bottom.  Total install time more like 3 hours, not the half hour listed on the website, but it's in and works great.

I bought the same swivel and followed these instructions exactly (my swivel also came with no instructions, not a single diagram, nada). Was one of the most frustrating jobs I've done on my conversion and took me half a day but it now works beautifully and I couldn't be happier with the result - turning the slider bar upside down and adding washers as Bilco recommended even allows you to keep the sliding function which Discountvantruck.com said would be lost! It is also possible to swivel the seat without opening the door (I've heard others had to do this with the swivelsRus slider). You will have to ditch the center console however (not a problem for me) as the slider offsets the seat towards the center of the van. Thanks Bilco for the great write up

Edited by seancau
additional info

Did you buy the "factory seat with factory base" swivel adapter (#119015) from discountvantruck.com?

Did you buy the "factory seat with factory base" swivel adapter (#119015) from discountvantruck.com?

Forgot to add that I am doing a campervan conversion on a 2020 NV2500 Standard Roof and a swivel seat would be a perfect solution for having more usable space. Getting rid of the "black hole" bottomless pit center console would be a good thing. (Plan to replace with something useful that has an armrest.)

Sorry NJ2NCAnnie, hadn't checked this forum in a while and didn't see your question. Yes, that's the part I bought (#119015). I replaced the center console with just a 3" high square box I made out of plywood, we use it to throw things when we are driving but can still step over it to acces the back of the van. To swivel the passenger seat need to pick up the box & put it on the driver seat temporarily. I rerouted the 5V charger from the center console and installed it through the plastic below the cupholders.

I’m renovating my already converted 2017 high roof. Is there any way to make both of the seats swivel? I imagine doing so and having a removable table between....a man’s gotta dream, right.