Welcome to the Nissan NV Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Nissan NV Forum. You must register to create topics and post replies, however, registration is a free and simple process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members. . .and more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rust

rust

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 artk

artk

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • LocationPark Ridge IL
  • Current Vehicle:NV PASSENGER 35OOSL

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Hi there,

i picked up a new NVP 3500 SL and noticed lots of rust on the roof. it will not wash off. Nissan dealer says its rail dust. anybody heard of such a thing?

Did anybody have the same problem?

#2 KMGLTZ

KMGLTZ

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:12' NV 3500 V8 Low-top

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

there is such thing as rail dust. GM has a TSB for it. not sure if nissan does. get a claybar and see if that helps

2012 Nissan NV3500 5.6 3.54

#3 wollip

wollip

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 305 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • LocationArkansas
  • Current Vehicle:NV 2500 S V-8

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

The question is - why hasn't the dealer already made this right?

#4 KMGLTZ

KMGLTZ

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:12' NV 3500 V8 Low-top

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

The question is - why hasn't the dealer already made this right?

thats a good point... i had what looked like littler rust spots (rail dust) on my 13 silverado which i noticed after i took it home... took it back to the dealer and they fully detailed and waxed it.

i would go back to the dealer and tell them to fix it

Edited by KMGLTZ, 29 August 2013 - 03:57 PM.

2012 Nissan NV3500 5.6 3.54

#5 artk

artk

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPark Ridge IL

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

there are lots of small debris and stuff under the paint. I am afraid its bigger problem. I wanted the nissan rep take a look at it before it goes to detailing but service manager refuses to call him out.

#6 axulsuv

axulsuv

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • LocationSC
  • Current Vehicle:2012 NV1500s Low roof

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Go to the GM. of the dealer next , If that doesn't work contact nissan directly yourself . And document every conversation and action taken , 'cause if there is trash under the paint , it will be a problem in the future . and you have to show that they attempted to take care of the issue earlier !

Glenn 

#7 vanguy

vanguy

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:NV 2500 V8 SV High Roof

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

As others have stated go up the chain of command if necessary.

It sounds like rail dust. It is only in the clear coat. This is a common problem with vehicles that are transported by rail. Why they don't cover them at the factory prior to shipping, I'll never understand.

KMGLTZ is correct in that a clay bar will fix it, but I would let the dealer handle it. I had this happen on a new Mitsu Diamante i bought about 15 - 20 years ago.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Find out if the dealer does body & paint work. If they do not,  then they will not know how to handle this.

2. If dealer doesn't know what to do, make them send it to a detail shop that does know what to do.

3. Demand to talk to the detail shop owner BEFORE they send your van over to them. Ask how they will get the rail dust off. Many detail shops do not know how. If they suggest anything other than using a clay bar, don't let the dealer send it to them. All they will do is apply about six or eight coats of wax to mask the problem. In a few months the wax will be gone & the rail dust will still be there. Take it from me, someone who has been there and done that! A good professional detail shop can do this in very little time.

Using a clay bar is the best & only way to remove rail dust without damaging your paint. It will work if the detailer knows what they are doing. I wound up doing this myself on the Mitsu Diamante I had. It took me awhile to figure out how to use the clay, but once I got the hang of it, it worked really fast & completely removed all the rail dust.

Edited by vanguy, 05 September 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#8 artk

artk

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPark Ridge IL

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hi, thanks for all the good info. I would like to answer the private msgs too, but I don't have the required 5 posts yet. The van was in Nissan's shop for the last 3wks for various problems. They changed a whole bunch of sensors, relays, and manifolds and parts of exhaust system. Also, they've removed rust from the roof, however, the rusty halos are popping up again. I think it's a total lemon and started looking for a lemon law attorney in Michigan (that's where it was bought). This vehicle was definitely made on Friday night, when assembly workers think about a cold one instead of finishing a job. What happened to the union pride? I'll keep you all updated. Let me know if anyone knows a good Michigan lemon law lawyer.

#9 Chris Dempsey

Chris Dempsey

• NV Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Nissan NV 2500 High Roof

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:19 AM

Hi, thanks for all the good info. I would like to answer the private msgs too, but I don't have the required 5 posts yet. The van was in Nissan's shop for the last 3wks for various problems. They changed a whole bunch of sensors, relays, and manifolds and parts of exhaust system. Also, they've removed rust from the roof, however, the rusty halos are popping up again. I think it's a total lemon and started looking for a lemon law attorney in Michigan (that's where it was bought). This vehicle was definitely made on Friday night, when assembly workers think about a cold one instead of finishing a job. What happened to the union pride? I'll keep you all updated. Let me know if anyone knows a good Michigan lemon law lawyer.

So - what happened?

#10 SmokedChops

SmokedChops

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • LocationDes Moines
  • Model Year:2013
  • My NV:NV2500 HD Cargo High Roof
  • Current Vehicle:big white Space Shuttle

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

I noticed really thin paint on my roof rails (high roof, near bolt plates) this will probably lead to corrosion if it was not properly coated from day 1. I hosed it down with SeaFoam Deep Creep to give it some protection through Iowa winters.
  • radin2son likes this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·