NVinNE

Install Webasto (Gas) Under Passenger Seat?

Hi Folks,  New member and first post.  I'm hoping someone can answer this question.  I'm in the process of converting a 2021 NV2500 high roof to a camper van.  Planning to do as much of the work myself as possible except for electrical and heater install...van will go to upfitter for that stuff.   I was planning to have the heater installed under the passenger seat, but the upfitters said that's not possible ????  Haven't yet has a chance to find out why...maybe because the passenger seat will have a swivel installed.   Anyway, can anyone suggest any other places where the heater can be installed?   Thanks!

I've been considering a Webasto heater myself, but havent yet determined whether it it is a 'must have'. There is another forum member who did install one under the passenger seat, so not sure why the upfitter gave you that response. It would be helpful to know whay they're hesitant. The write up for the install is not complete but there are some photos that help to tell the story and also how they tapped into the fuel pump assembly.

Sportsmobile forum has many posts on this albeit for other vans. Good for ideas however. 

I believe Colorado Camper still converts NVs. They may have info on heater options and placement. Would be a great trip. 

What is good for a diy may be a liability for an upfitter. 

Edited by radin2son

@cojo

Thank you for the reply.  I did see that post that you're talking about and was bummed that there wasn't more info on the Webasto install aside from tapping into the fuel pump.   I agree that I need to find out why the upfitter said it couldn't be done.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to find out more info about placement.  

@radin2son

I'll check out the Sportsmobile forum and Colorado Camper for info on placement.  Good point about what's OK for diy may be a liability for an upfitter.  Thanks you for the suggestions.

Took a quick look at

sportsmobile forum. Good luck on finding info. 

Sportsmobile.com addresses heating but not in depth in their sales info. Propane or diesel, not gas. 

When we travel during winter, our heating consists of winter sleeping bags, 1 dog, 2 humans, and cups of coffee. Getting up to make coffee is an issue, however. 

8AF5A6E2-DEF1-48AF-98F4-C27FBDF2238D.jpeg

So these things are small and can fit just about anywhere, but not under a swivel seat if it is a pivoting post style.  Generally they get built into cubbies with ductwork for heat and the exhaust and fresh air lines plumbed through the body.  The places with which I am familiar won't install the gas ones because of a perceived danger, also we have done more research on diesel because that's what we're currently rocking, but you can score the diesel heater on ebay for about $100.  Be sure to go with a true 2k in a van this size...there are posts out there about how to tell which is which and I can link of you are curious.  Super easy to install, there's a good facebook group as well as a ton of youtube videos, and it comes with a little day tank for fuel.  Alternatively, they make the ones that are gas as well, but I haven't seen those coming out of China.  Any of these are knockoffs of better known brands like webasto.  If you want name brand, then you can generally find good deals on espar and eberspacher heaters at truck (big rig) junkyards but, again, those will be diesel style.  

I just did a quick ebay search to see if they even make a gas heater in the chinese style, and I found this sweet deal on an eberspacher, if you are deadset on gas.  Again, pretty easy to install yourself with the help of buildout blogs and youtube.

- LAF

I didn't like how it was going to line the fuel line up directly over the exhaust cat.

Mine is a 2kw diesel.  Installed differently.  Fuel tank under the hood next to the washer bottle, holds right at 2 gallons.

The heater itself is in a box under the floor.  Pulls air in from the back of the passenger footwell (plenty of air gap between the trim, nothing to see unless you remove the trim).  Vent comes up through the middle of the floor through a defuser. 

If you wanted it trick if could move forward, pull from the front of the slide door footwell, over to the driver's side wall, up the wall and shoot out sideways.  And not have a hole in the floor.

Or mount inside behind the driver's seat.  The real nice part is there is a good 6" gap between the floor and the top of the frame/gas tank at that location.  And lots of room between the frame and the rocker panel as well.

So many ways of doing this.  Don't know why you are so fixated on mounting it under the passenger seat.

@radin2son  Yeah, I didn't find info on sportsmobile.com or sportsmobile forum about placement of the Webasto heaters,  I'm starting to wonder if I should just ditch the idea...one less thing to worry about and all that.

@Local Apparent Friday   I think you've probably nailed the reason the upfitter said no can do to placing the heater under the passenger seat...because I want to add a swivel there.  I understand why some folks may be hesitant about having one of these heaters in the cabin...but I haven't yet found any info that puts me off the idea.  I won't, however, attempt a DIY install. I've seen some good videos on installing them -- but I know my limits.

@crusty    Thanks for your input on alternative placement options.  Wouldn't say I'm fixated on an under seat install...I just like the idea of it being tucked away there in a space that doesn't have much use for anything else. 

NVinNE Have you considered a portable “ceramic” heater? Only have to take it when needed. 

A bigger issue is summer heat. You will need a roof vent and vented side windows. 

@radin2son    No, haven't given thought to a ceramic heater...will Google and see what they're all about.

Completely agree that the bigger issue in this part of the country (east coast) is summer heat / humidity.  I'm planning to have vented bunk windows, fan, and AC.

Ceramic heaters that i've seen are all electric, so unless you're able to plug in or want to run a generator, that's a non-starter.  A cheap and easy portable alternative would be the Mr Buddy brand propane heaters that can be purchased at walmart/tractor supply and run on the little green propane tanks or can be used with a 20lb bottle with an additional adapter.  They come in like 3 different sizes.

Mr Buddy is not vented.  You get issues with CO, O2 depletion, and excess humidity.  Exposed surface ready to ignite random stuff it comes in contact with. 

That is where the hot air heater is nice.  Warm dry air, just like a forced hot air in your house or office.  Combustion is 100% vented outside.  The extra hassle of having another fuel (in my case diesel) would be no different than having to deal with propane bottles.  Probably even easier and cheaper.

@Local Apparent Friday    Yes, saw that the ceramic heaters are electric...so I'd need to be hooked-up to a shore power or generator to use one.  I'm familiar w/ the Mr. Buddy propane heaters but, at the end of the day, I'm not comfortable using propane in an enclosed space...wouldn't be able to relax. 

@crusty   Sounds like we're on the same wavelength on the Mr. Buddy option.  Outside of a ceramic type heater option, I think I'll be more comfortable with the hot air from a Webasto or Espar. 

NVinNE If you are thinking rear AC for summer use,  you’ll need shore power which means sites with hookups. So ceramic would work if  you plan to use shore power on a regular basis. Otherwise, no as noted. 

We had the same misgivings about Mr Buddy. 

@radin2son   I envision staying at sites w/ hookups in summer (AC) and the shoulder seasons (spring & fall) here in New England where heat could be needed.  Now I'm starting to have second thoughts about the Webasto and considering ceramic & 12 volt electric blanket...much to be said about keeping things simple.

13 hours ago, crusty said:

Mr Buddy is not vented.  You get issues with CO, O2 depletion, and excess humidity.  Exposed surface ready to ignite random stuff it comes in contact with. 

That is where the hot air heater is nice.  Warm dry air, just like a forced hot air in your house or office.  Combustion is 100% vented outside.  The extra hassle of having another fuel (in my case diesel) would be no different than having to deal with propane bottles.  Probably even easier and cheaper.

Can confirm all of this, and would definitely personally go the installed diesel route.  Obv any heater would be accompanied by a proper alarm, but that doesn't solve the moisture issues.

You have to stop breathing to prevent moisture. 

Sportsmobile has all sorts of permutations about heating and cooling on their sale/options site. If interested, they break it all down. 

The simplest was start the engine for heat on very cold mornings. Fine unless there is no idling permitted. 

That's what concerns me...

23 hours ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

That's what the propane is for.

That's what concerns me...

Yes, will have definitely install alarm(s).  

Edited by NVinNE
add response

23 hours ago, radin2son said:

Sportsmobile has all sorts of permutations about heating and cooling on their sale/options site. If interested, they break it all down. 

The simplest was start the engine for heat on very cold mornings. Fine unless there is no idling permitted. 

Hmmm, I think I missed the heating/cooling info on the site...will circle back and check it out.  Thank you.

Thank @radin2son...his info, I just tracked it down.  Keep us posted, interested to see what you settle on.  

We never considered strictly electric because it rules out comfortable boondocking in the cold months.  If you're strictly a campground user, then you'll have no problem, but we use FreeCampsites a lot and those rarely have hookups.  Depending on how you travel, you may limit yourself.  We spent the 2017 Solar Eclipse out on BLM land in Wyoming and the closest available campground was hours away.  It was admittedly summer, but low temps out there are 34 and there are a lot of beautiful things to see in the winter time.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

- laf

22 hours ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

Thank @radin2son...his info, I just tracked it down.  Keep us posted, interested to see what you settle on.  

Thanks you,  @radin2son

@Local Apparent Friday,   You raise a good point about limiting options if I opt for electric only.  The van is going to the upfitter on Monday so they can start work on the stuff that I'm not comfortable tackling and won't be able to do now because of the weather.  I'll be able to discuss placement options for a Webasto w/ the guy who does the custom work...I have a new spot in mind that'll hopefully work.   Anyway, will let you guys know how things work out.

Will check out FreeCampites -- thanks.