NVinNE

Install Webasto (Gas) Under Passenger Seat?

If you opt for electric only you could just carry a generator, but then you'd have to listen to a generator. Best of luck @ the outfitters!  Would dig some before and after pics.

- laf

There is no wrong way to do this. At worst, you may wonder “What was I thinking?” 

Campendium is another site. We use them to supplement FSA and BLM info. Saves time at the end of a day of driving, exploring, particularly with reservations being the norm. 

KOA is another good resource if everything else is full. You can pretty much expect to get a “no hookup” site for the night. Keeps you away from the motor coaches. Plus, you can take a shower and do laundry depending on the duration of your trip. 

Oooooh good find on Campendium!  Hadn't heard of that one and have already found a campsite we want to check out.  Not to hijack, but trucker path is another good app we use to find truck stops for showers and whatnot on the road.  

- laf

Knowing how you plan to use your NV and where you can helps with the build. 

Post some photos of your build as it develops. 

Also watching this! 

If Eberspacher made a gas version of their coolant heater I'd recommend that if the safety of the system checks out (also not sure abt gas parking heaters and safety) and it could be installed properly in the NV w. out problematic routing, etc.  A coolant heater is more useful with a diesel of course but I think it's a slick way to go in any rig as it warms your engine while also utilizing the existing heat delivery system.  If you don't need the high altitude kit you can pair it with a remote (remote's non compatible with the high alt kit sadly)- flip it on from your house, climb into a warm, defrosted cabin and start a happy engine.  

Otherwise, why not add an undermount propane tank?  Then you get two birds stoned- easy/safe propane parking heater install + propane for cooking, etc.   Looks like plenty of space under there for a small undermount but also might take a good grip of fab work to properly guard it.  Or, put a proper locker inside and you can even use propane exchanges if desired.   Safety of onboard propane is still a consideration tho; not sure where it would be safest to install since we don't really have crash footage/data on these vans.

Update on Heater:  Just returned from a visit to the upfitters and much to my surprise & delight, they were able to install the Webasto (gas) under the passenger seat and install the swivel on that seat too!  Didn't have a chance to speak w/ the tech about the install but was able to get a couple of photos. 

Thank you again everyone for your suggestions & input!

@WanderlustAV  Thanks for your post...Webasto (gas) was my first choice for a heater.  I'm not comfortable w/ propane so it wasn't an option for me. 

IMG_2226.jpeg

IMG_2225.jpeg

Edited by NVinNE

That's great news! and just in time for winter. Would you mind sharing the name of the upfitter? This is something that I may be willing to hire someone to install. For the fuel supply, do you know if they connected to the fuel tank sender/pump assembly or tapped into the fuel return line from the stock fuel system? 

Also, that looks like a Swivels-r-us swivel. We have one and love the fact that we've got a built-in piece of furniture when camping.

@cojo     Thank you, cojo.   Since I didn't get to speak w/ anyone about the Webasto install, I don't know the particulars.   Yes, the swivel is a SwivelsRus model. 

The name of the upfitter is American Automotive Aftermarket, Inc. (aka AAA Work Trucks), located in Billerica, MA.  Easy to get to off I95.  They've been very nice to deal with:  https://aaaworktrucks.com/    The name of sales person that handles the "adventure" vans is Cassie. 

Thanks NV. As luck would have it, their shop is nearby. 

3 hours ago, cojo said:

Thanks NV. As luck would have it, their shop is nearby. 

You're welcome, cojo.

I've been talking w/ AAA since the summer...they're going to do the stuff I'm unable to do or uncomfortable attempting.  I especially like that they are willing to let customers take an à la carte approach to the build process (at least for now, anyway).

Good luck if you decide to give them a call.

@Local Apparent Friday    Thank you.  The van is still at the upfitters...will post an update when it comes home.

I'll pretty my vent up once I get the wood floors installedDSC_2956.thumb.JPG.07c7ff3398b5615446b857e99726d1ff.JPG