Sign in to follow this  
Local Apparent Friday

Looking to switch platforms

Hello all.  So...rather amusingly, googling led me to an old troll thread here about Econolines v. NV's, which is how I found you guys.  I won't necrobump or link, but yeah.  Deffo liking the NV over the econoline.  Anyway;

We're looking to make the switch to the NV platform.  We're currently rocking a '00 E350SD with the 7.3 diesel, and it's been a great van that's taken us on adventures all up and down the east coast, but we're looking hard at the NVs after having recently rented one for an unrelated work purpose, just thought I'd introduce ourselves. 

I love the ford for the towing capacity and insane fuel economy we get whether she's loaded or not, and I love the reliability of it all, BUT we are missing some creature comforts, like a raised roof, modern amenities, and safety features.   Further, we pretty much do all our own work and trying to get to the engine is a pain.  Looking at the sprinters and the transits, it doesn't get any better, and I like the idea of an actual frame as opposed to unibody as well. 

Anyway, we'll be hanging out and lurking, reading up on the differences between the 2500 and the 3500 to decide which to go with, we're pretty much settled on the V8 as we tend to go up hills and whatnot.  We're in the process of selling the Ford, and then we'll hopefully pick up an NV with an eye towards a full time conversion and buildout.  Looking forward to participating in the forum!

- LAF

2 issues with NVs that cannot be changed. No extended version offered and rear “living” area is smaller by the difference in Ford vs NV hoods. 

V8 also doesn’t know if van is loaded or not. MPG is good or bad based on your expectations. 

Good good luck with your search and build.

conversiontrader.com has a 2012 3500 V8 high top for sale ($42k) if you are tempted to skip the build process. Search Nissan to find it. Otherwise you will be looking at endless ProMasters and Sprinters. Also good for ideas. 

Ty for getting back to me and for your thoughts on the issues.  Our current van is the extended cargo version, BUT It's a standard roof, so we're hoping the added height will make up for the shorter length.  Either way, I'll be excited to stand up when I walk around.  Also, the van is kind of our inlaw suite/weekend doghouse...we are working on a fullsize RV restoration project for extended travel, and we have all the room in the world in that thing.

Good to know about the V8.  We get a consistent 22mpg on summer diesel, with winter mix dropping us into the 17-18 range.  Looking at fuelly, it looks like the NV will be a compromise for the time being, but that's okay.

Thank you!  Saw the one on conversiontrader and will continue to keep an eye out.  I tend to pick things up for cheap that need work, as I have time and experience to fix things, but I appreciate any and all links to check them out.  

- LAF

I could see getting a Transit for a camper (not that I'd sleep in my van unless I was knee walking drunk).  No need for daily driver reliability and not going to put you out of work when it inevitably breaks down.  That said, they are great to drive, have more usable space to set up a floor plan, and have a lot more available options in the cab.   Plus, when you break down in the wilderness, you can burn all the recall notices to keep warm. 

I would look for a 2016 or newer for the V8.  Engine has more power, is more efficient, and the gearing is better.  The gearing is a big thing I like. 

I would conisder the biggest downfall is it you are not creative and want everything pre-made for you.  With the Nissan you can do just about everything, but it is you doing it.  But the good thing is you get what you want it to be and not a copy of everyone else who has done it a million times.

@aztec We're part of those crazy #vanlifers, so we regularly sleep in our vehicles.  Upgraded from a honda element.  We rented one of the transits for a 2000 mile trip around the '17 solar eclipse and it was plenty spacious, but for the reasons mentioned above, we've ruled them out and are solidly looking at the NV.

@crusty Ty.  I read a thread that was talking about reliability issues with the newer v8 compared to the older, but it was an old thread.  Is that not a thing to worry about?  As to having to do things ourselves, that's kind of our MO, so no worries there.

Another thing that I'm curious about is what are the actual differences between the 25 and the 35.  I've read just bigger tires I think...I know the capacity is different, but I'm wondering if I can buy the 2500 and upgrade it, which is on the docket anyway.  The 25's seem to be MUCH easier to come by, at least around me.  

Thank you both for your input.

- laf

Edited by Local Apparent Friday

2500 has lighter springs, smaller tires, V6 standard.  3500 doesn't.  Probably a few other things that are not disclosed.  Nissan isn't going to tell you how to convert to a higher GVW.  And there is the legal thing of exceeding the GVW which puts any issues on you.  If you need a 3500, just get a 3500 and don't try to engineer your own.

weretherussos.com is worth checking out for van and overland comparisons, particularly for someone just getting into this. 

Make your own judgement on their style etc. 

@radin2son  Ty we'll check them out.  The econoline is modular and basic, mostly because it doubles as a work truck and a trackday haul rig, but the NV will be a full time conversion. 

- laf 

Do you really need a 3500?

We have a 2500 standard top (5996 lbs with 3104 payload capacity per info from 2012). Sportsmobile conversion added almost 1000 lbs. Gear, water, food, dog(s) and 2 humans added another 1000 lbs. for trips over several weeks. 

You probably won’t need this, but out west, we have to carry  30+ gallons. We have a 20 gallon tank for potable water but don’t drink it unless we have to. Filling tank is easy enough but who knows about quality and taste.  Drinking water in gallon containers stashed wherever they will fit. When empty, we buy more. 

Probably not, but I'll start weighing things.  The 2500 w/V8 definitely seems easier to find around here than the 3500, and there's always adding a leaf/airbags if it becomes necessary in the future.  Thanks for the thoughts, and for the weight info on your build.

- laf

I would have gone for a 1500 if they offered it with the V8.

Yah sounds like we are two very different types of users.  

- laf

Side note...popped into the dealership yesterday to get the ball rolling...I've hot him looking for 25/35 w/V8 and high top.  

- laf

Welp.  We're officially card carrying members now.  Scooped a '14 retired HVAC service van off of marketplace and brought it the 100 mile trek today back to the shop.  She's a 3500 with a bit of a knock, but the price was right, so this is what we'll start with.  Going to start by taking a look to see if I need an entire engine or if this one is salvageable, then we'll go from there to start fixing all the little things to bring her back up to snuff before moving on to the build out.  No idea what trim level it is, but she came with towing package, 400w inverter, 5" nav with steering wheel controls, and rear park assist/backup cam.  Also stoked to have the back windows in the barn doors.

20220325_195020_remastered.jpg

Probably an SV, not that trim level matters much in a cargo van. 

Wouldn’t want to hear that engine knock in the middle of nowhere. How many miles? 

The back windows were an option we like. Decent driving view and let light in to keep it from seeming like a cave. 

Good of luck with your project. 

Used Titan engine.  '07-15 I believe.  You just need to keep all the sensors and wiring off your existing engine.  They are almost the same (the wiring and stuff), but just enough to bite you.  If there is a wire going to it, move it over.  The long block is the same.  Not the early Titan, '04-06 have different variable cam setup.

10 hours ago, radin2son said:

Probably an SV, not that trim level matters much in a cargo van. 

Wouldn’t want to hear that engine knock in the middle of nowhere. How many miles? 

The back windows were an option we like. Decent driving view and let light in to keep it from seeming like a cave. 

Good of luck with your project. 

154k which, judging by the oil change sticker that shows next service due at 150k, probably explains the knock.  Ty for the well wishes, we're excited.

6 hours ago, crusty said:

Used Titan engine.  '07-15 I believe.  You just need to keep all the sensors and wiring off your existing engine.  They are almost the same (the wiring and stuff), but just enough to bite you.  If there is a wire going to it, move it over.  The long block is the same.  Not the early Titan, '04-06 have different variable cam setup.

Yah the application chart shows the higher end titans, probably the pro4x at the higher end of the power and torque.  I'm going to drop the pan tomorrow and see if I can see what the problem is and go from there.  We bought it planning on a full engine swap, so we're prepared to bust out the beer over a long weekend if we have to.  I'll post back when I have more info.

- laf

That chart isn't complete.  305 HP was what the engine was launched with in 2004.  It has a single variable (intake) cam.  After 2007 the HP increased to 317 when dual valiable (intake and exhaust) cams were used.  Since the cams are controlled by the computer, you want the later engine.  You don't want the early engine as the computer can't control the exhaust cam it it will throw a fit and codes.

The QX56 at 320HP has slightly higher compression ratio to match the premium fuel tuning.  another one to avoid.  It should work, but you may need premium fuel due to the higher compression.

For any given year, there was only one engine for a Titan.  From the most basic bench seat manual window king cab to the off-road and LE grades.  Never a different engine.

Also Armada has the same engine as the Titan for the same year.

Pulled out the Adrian Steel shelving today and changed the oil/filter for the time being while I zero in on a replacement engine.

(Other) Known issues that we're working on in the meantime:

Blower motor missing

Driver's headlight harness missing

Pass window does not roll up/down

Windshield cracked

Outstanding airbag recall

Lower latches on rear door seized

Rear door handle broken/missing

Front bumper damaged

Tires shot

Also if anybody needs factory parts, looks like there's a 15% off sale running through tomorrow.  I googled and Hart in VA seems to have pretty low prices.

- laf

Hart fixed it