Hello ,My van is well loved and no matter where Ive been van lovers tell me how nice my van looks ( Burgundy )

Love my van , but after going through months of mechanics, both dealer and expert local mechanic scratching their heads I dont know if its time to part ways. 100,000 miles and the dash abs lights have been on for sometime. At first off and on and at the dealer, who had it gone over each time and could find noyhing. One gut even kept it and drove it home. Nothing .Then this year after a couple of years of this, it stayed on all the time. dealer kept it a week. said over 6 grand; replace the rear axel as the module was replaced. Took it to my local guy. He had it over 2 weeks too. Cant see inside the whole to see the ?teeth? and doesnt know what it might cost if he could figure it out since no parts to be had? He said well it seems fine I'd drive it.Not what the dealer said. In looking at used vans or leased the numbers are staggering, since parts and vehicles are hard to come by. One gut sold his van for a lot of money because of that. A used van with alot of miles sold new at 32,000+ was recently sold online I saw  it sell for almost 50,000 and it was several years old.They say this is the highest mark up of all autos in history. Still I dont know what to do about mine. I probably could sell it for more than its worth, I do love it, but the mechanic even said your problem may not even be fixed if you replace the rear right axel.Has anyone had this issue? Is it common? I thought Id get at least another 100,000 miles if not 50,000. I dont know about ford or ram but I remember they werent as comfortable. I used to have a Savana, maybe thats the way to go.

I found this TSB, not sure what year your van is and i'm sure your dealer is already aware of this.  Do you have a code reader or are you able to get the DTC from the dealer?  Are you going to a commercial capable nissan?  Resale is high right now, but an ABS light is going to ding you for sure.

- laf

I can not thank you enough. Yes, the dealer had it several times, as did our local guy. We think the dealer just gave up and said get the 5000 + part plus labor. Still even though it's a 2014, it seems related since parts could be from 2013. Any more info would be great if anyone has a clue. These are from  2020 and 2021 and 2022 . I am sorry if I am posting  duplicates or not posting correctly.  I think the codes are  in here ? But in the TSB it shows rust could be a factor for readings?

Edited by Mywayorthehywy
Files

Looks like the sensors are about $160 each. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2014,nv2500,4.0l+v6,3305937,brake+&+wheel+hub,abs+wheel+speed+sensor,1912

Looking at the service history you posted, it looks like the right rear sensor may have been replaced. 

Keep in mind the dealer will only install new parts as per how Nissan says they are replaced.  There is a long history of new axles installed when it is just a bad seal.  Under warranty this is no big deal for you.  Out of warranty it isn't realistic. 

But a proper diagnostic is needed.  Just reading codes isn't always the answer.  Is it a sensor, or the wiring?  To say the sensor is part of the rear axle, well used axles do exist.  But that would all be a waste of time and money if it was a wiring issue.

Do you know how to use a multimeter?  I believe the sensors on these can be tested via the standard method.

I wouldn't trash the van.  Absolute worst case scenario, as your dealer and Crusty stated, is that you have to swap the rear axle.  Car-part lists 22 pages of them, with units available sub 100k miles WITH warranties for $500, figure another couple hundred in shipping, then the cost for your local mechanic to swap it plus a 4 wheel alignment, you'd probably be done for less than $1500.

BTdubs if you are close to a shipping terminal, you can generally save money on shipping large items if you pick it up at the terminal and save them the hassle of the last mile delivery.  They'll have a forklift and can load it right onto a trailer or a pickup, although two guys can lift a rear end pretty easily, 1 if you don't mind hernias.

Edited by Local Apparent Friday
adding more info

These have active sensors.  They don't test out like old school shool speed sensors.  They are powered and not self generating.  Even ohming them out they read different depending on the polarity of how you are ohming them.  If you ohm them both ways, and compare to the others, you might see a difference in a bad one.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:37 PM, Local Apparent Friday said:

@crustyso you can't do the test where you spin the axle and watch the meter?

Correct.  There is a special service tool that runs on a 9V battery that will power the sensor and let you see the signal. 

The old school way of putting the meter on AC volts and giving the wheel a spin will not give any results.  When Nissan started going from just ABS to traction control the wheel speed sensors needed to read very low RPM to detect slip and control it.  That is when they went to the new style sensors.