saveriov

Lug Nut Swelling

2015 NV3500 High Top

202,000 Miles

Since I usually rotate tires every 10,000 miles, it looks like there have been about 20 rotations over the life of the vehicle. The tire guy at the local Costco noted that he had to go one size larger on his wrench to service the tires. I checked to see if the lug wrench provided with the truck would still fit the wheel nuts, and it didn't anymore, they had swollen to the point that I had to use a 7/8 socket to pull them off. (21mm is the correct size for this.) After consulting the Mighty Google, this is a common problem with lugs that have a two part construction, confirming what the tire tech told me.

As I see it, you can get a larger socket to go in the truck in case of a road repair, or order new wheel nuts. I believe you can get a 21.5 mm. But then you have to carry a 1/2" ratchet.

The Nissan part number for the wheel nuts is 40224-1PA0A, list $6.28/ea. I tried aftermarket without much success. The dealer parts guy noted that the Titan part is a different number, important to know, if true, because I've seen application charts on third party sites that say otherwise. I ordered the new wheel nuts from the dealer, after striking a discount for 32 of them. Still painful. I saw some on eBay, noted that they looked like the OEM, but backed away noting the listing had Titan in the title. If anyone has tried these, and they work, it would be good to let others know.

Torque spec is 138ft/lbs.

Edited by saveriov

Very good to know.  I've learned the hard way (not with  my NV but with another van) that proper lugs are important and they are a part that wears and needs replacement.   Makes me wonder about studs as well....