Sign in to follow this  
kitcarlson

NV2500 HD SV Hitch Wiring KIt

I have found class 3 tow hitches for the NV2500, however have not been able to find a wiring kit.

Here are the hitch part numbers: DT 75715, Reese 44664, Hidden Hitch 87610.

Any luck on the wiring harness? I'm still in the pre-ordering phase and would love to get the towing package on a 2500 SV, V6 but according to dealer, can't get it from factory. I want the v6 for better mpgs and in driving it versus the v8, the v6 had good power and acceleration. I would be towing a small rv occasionally which weighs less than 3000 pounds. I will need a 7 wire plug and brake controller also. It appears that etrailer has a hitch receiver for $150 that is designed for the NV.

Jay

Any luck on the wiring harness?

Have not found one yet. I will try the dealer next. If that does not work I will do my own. It appears some relays need to be added to sockets, and wiring.

The brake controller should not be too difficult.

I did buy the hitch from e-trailer, it was an easy install. At this time, only need to pull a small farm trailer with 4-wire. Plan to hold off some, to see if someone makes a kit. Would hope one from a Titan would work, who kows?

I have the 2500 SV that did not come with the towing upgrade, I had the dealer install the wireing and hitch, 4 pin

Hey guys, i meant to put up a how to in this section for anyone needing a trailer and wiring harness kit. All products purchased from www.etrailer.com I took delivery of the first ever NV 2500 in the US so im sure ive been the first to put a hitch on lol. NISSAN DID NOT PREWIRE THE NV's For trailer wiring so dont even bother looking around underneath for it.

Hitch

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Nissan/NV/2012/87610.html?vehicleid=2012305994

Wiring Harness (standard, you dont need one specific)

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/119190.html

4pole to 7pole adapter (for tralers needing brakes)

http://www.etrailer.com/p-V30606/Adapter-4-Pole-to-7-Pole-and-4-Pole-OEM-Style.html

Go to lowes and purchase 14ga stranded wire to get power to the adapter from the battery and to extend the right tail turn signal over to the adapter.

there is a braking harness to the left of you foot. You will need to run the wires from the to the three fly leads off the pole adapter. You will also need to get a trailer brake control unit! it really is simple. Since the van is open you can easily fish the wires around for a clean OEM look. The hardest part is getting the power wire to the battery. panels pull off really easy so you can route it down and around the cab. There was a slight void in the fire wall to push the wire through along side of the others.

It took me a whole to find a good grounding point. DO NOT GROUND TO THE POWER INVERTER. that has its own isolated ground and you can ruin the system if your ground 12v. to it. 4-7 pole adapter works nice as it has its own little grounding wire that you must use. i just self taped into the frame and i have a near perfect ground. If you dont need the adapter and just need a 4 pole plug then extend the ground of the relay unit down and ground to the frame. I found the other grounding point within the van to have poor grounding so the lights would dim.

to route the wires to the outside since i didnt want to drill a hole. Remove the bottom most rear luan panel on the drivers side and you will see plastic thing with a flap. I assume its for pressure equalization but gives you a perfect conduit to the outside bottom of your NV.

you dont need a light tester. just remove the two screws on the side holding the light and you will see what wire goes to which light. use the supplied scotch lock connectors and tap the wires ON THE INSIDE OF THE VAN. if you do it behind the light it wont seat back into its slot.

Good luck, its really easy and etrailer has a video showing how to do the wiring. i spent half a day total on my retrofit. You will need brute force, and a torque wrench for the hitch. That was the most difficult for me. I also am a clean freak so i used black plastic corrugated wire conduit to hide the wires and to make it look OEM. you dont have to do that though. You can find it at lowes 25 feet for 6 bucks!

good luck, hope this helps!

Nice post on wiring, thank you.

Just got back from upstate NY, towing my 2 quads, I will say this, the NV 2500 pulled my trailer like it was nothing, granting it only weights a little over 2000 lbs. it was able to climb up hills with ease, and going up the mountain to the house I used the the manual shit keeping it in 2 and 3. what a pleasure. MPG was about 12, if I kept it at 55 it would have been better.

Anthony

Just got back from upstate NY, towing my 2 quads, I will say this, the NV 2500 pulled my trailer like it was nothing, granting it only weights a little over 2000 lbs. it was able to climb up hills with ease, and going up the mountain to the house I used the the manual shit keeping it in 2 and 3. what a pleasure. MPG was about 12, if I kept it at 55 it would have been better.

Anthony

Anthony - what engine and roof type does your NV have?

Anthony - what engine and roof type does your NV have?

Anthony, thanks for the reply on your NV. Mine will be the V6 and I will be towing one of two small travel trailers or a small open utility trailer. Two ot them weigh about 2000/2200 pounds and the largest of the 3 weighs 2800. I'll post on my MPGs in a few months. My delivery should be next week.

Jay

Anthony, thanks for the reply on your NV. Mine will be the V6 and I will be towing one of two small travel trailers or a small open utility trailer. Two ot them weigh about 2000/2200 pounds and the largest of the 3 weighs 2800. I'll post on my MPGs in a few months. My delivery should be next week.

Jay

Good luck! I only have 2000 miles on the truck, and with out the trailer crusing at 65 mph i am getting 19-20,

it's the stop and go in NYC I am getting 12 mpg,

I purchased my NV 2500 SV with the V6 from Apple Nissan in York, PA. They were very helpful with the Adrian Steel upfit and class III trailer hitch installation. I have a 16 ft. aluminum trailer that I use mostly for the quads but do haul other stuff occasionally. The V6 performs very well pulling. I wish I had the trailer tow feature but luckily with the manual shift feature, it makes being able to use the right gear easier to deal with from dead starts and uphill pulls. I get about 18 or 19 mpg without towing on the highway. I haven't towed for any long distances yet so I don't know what the mpg is when towing. I only have about 5K miles on the van so far. Hopefully, the mpg will increase once the engine is fully broken in.

Have not found one yet. I will try the dealer next. If that does not work I will do my own. It appears some relays need to be added to sockets, and wiring.

The brake controller should not be too difficult.

I did buy the hitch from e-trailer, it was an easy install. At this time, only need to pull a small farm trailer with 4-wire. Plan to hold off some, to see if someone makes a kit. Would hope one from a Titan would work, who kows?

There is a newly released kit 118553. It is called a T-One it pugs into tail light wiring, needs 12V power and had lamp driver up to 7.5A. It is for 4-pin connector however there are 4 to 7 pin converters.

Had the dealer install a Nissan hitch and wire harness. One week later the right directional and brake light quit. Took it in today and the mech fixed it. He showed me where the rear harness adapts to the front harness just inside the front right wheel. He showed me the white wire came loose in the silly designed connection assembly. I forgot to mention to him that the blue wire also does not stop the brakes on my RV. I am waiting for a 7 pin tester from Amazon to then start working it from upstream. I checked the blue wire in the connection assembly and it looks ok but I have some testing to do next w/e. I will post if I find something worth sharing. I checked all the spots for relays and they are all in place but there is none named a brake controller which is bothersome.

Had the dealer install a Nissan hitch and wire harness. One week later the right directional and brake light quit. Took it in today and the mech fixed it. He showed me where the rear harness adapts to the front harness just inside the front right wheel. He showed me the white wire came loose in the silly designed connection assembly. I forgot to mention to him that the blue wire also does not stop the brakes on my RV. I am waiting for a 7 pin tester from Amazon to then start working it from upstream. I checked the blue wire in the connection assembly and it looks ok but I have some testing to do next w/e. I will post if I find something worth sharing. I checked all the spots for relays and they are all in place but there is none named a brake controller which is bothersome.

My 7 wire plug and hitch was dealer installed. Took trip with trailer from NC to South Florida and all worked fine. Work done at Grand Strand Nissan, Myrtle Beach.

x

Edited by Jerry