Builder

2012 NV2500 Work/Play Conversion

So It Begins! Conversion to home comforts and work space/tool storage. Upper cabinets running length both sides, narrow cabinets with work surfaces on deck, rear doors area all tool storage, removable bed the width of rear above banks of sliding drawers out the rear. Big area for soft goods storage above driver. Fitted console storage.

Screenshot_20221022-124215.thumb.png.a3bafb3dd25df3f4a3601ffd07cada5f.png

The insulation from homerdep wasn't enough and the temperature was only 20C but should have been 22C. The last quarter of the bottles didn't cure the same as the first mixture. It might have been low humidity that day too. I've been using greatstuff to fill in the gaps. I'll glue reflective bubble insulation to walls, with a gap and thin ply overtop. Floor is going to have 2 inches of hard foam, plywood on top with vinyl.

IMG_20221002_1604561.thumb.jpg.55e0be7bb3ffae4f3d07051879b2acd8.jpg

Those are the two oval covers for nut/bolt access for suspension height adjustment?? I can't seem to find any reference in the manuals, including repair manual. I'm leaning toward keeping the access open but if those allow a simple 3" lift then maybe I should do that first, then ply over. Has anyone knowledge about this?

834300001_Bumperbump.thumb.JPG.1665eb813b6f8a66085eb1f0490d27b1.JPG

Could it be easily put back into shape with an hydraulic press? These bumpers seem to be a popular part to replace! I got a replacement and de-rusted it. Need to still repair that corner. Several more areas need rust work repairs. The price was right!

This side step was a real mess of plastic and I couldn't take it so it will be fitted with iron wood. Insulation glued to well.

Also, I don't like all the handle grips so I won't put them back, they get in the way and so far I'm still nimble enough to crawl in without them!

Still figuring out how to release the spare tire. It is rusted in place. The rods to turn the gear are all bent and twisted. Penetrating lubricant is in I just have to get time to bang around the accessible parts.

Where in your conversion did you put the tire change kit and jack?

That left side rear, cabin air exhaust vent seems weird to keep as all the walls will be sealed. Thinking about covering it and having another vent out for cabin air - even if only cracking the maxvent open.

Other specs: 200W solar, 2 x 125amp/Hr batteries, 2000W pure sine wave inverter, diesel heater, Maxx air vent, no toilet or sink planned but a cooler as fridge is liikely as it is more work oriented for now.

IMG_20221002_1605387.thumb.jpg.e49e63b68f1ecf6e0d15e2f5a5e68d1d.jpg

Screenshot_20221022-124215.png

Edited by Builder

Sounds like you have a good work project to keep you occupied this winter.  I have a 2015 NV2500 V6 that I converted from a used cargo van into a camper van.  To answer one of your questions concerning where to relocate the tire jack, I located mine in the engine compartment beside the radiator passenger side.  With the V6 there is a lot of extra unused room there.  Attached are a few pics showing the jack and kit that comes with it.  I also have a small shovel, come-a-long, tow strap, extra engine oil, tarp and poles, and a small storage box (pic) tucked away in there.  I might suggest at this stage in your project that you think about installing some front to back and side to side wire chases so that it will be much easier to wire in whatever accessories when you get to that point.  In any case, congratulations on your purchase.  Even though there is not a lot of activity on this site there are some very knowledgeable people that can provide good info. 

20221106_160756.jpg

20221106_160739.jpg

20221106_160716.jpg

SMB put a thin rubber coated wooden step over the OEM step. Wore thru in no time. Brushed on some bed liner and it’s holding up fine. 

SMB added a box behind the rear passenger side wheel well to hold jack etc. Same width as wheel well back to rear door and easy to get to without unloading a lot of stuff. 

Edited by radin2son

Thanks OpenRoad - That's a great place to put the jack and kit. I wondered what I was going to use all that space for! I'm in the midst of wiring planning and yes I'm going to future proof the wiring a little by having redundancies back and forth. Both for the 10amp van accessory circuits and for house circuits.

51 minutes ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

Ironwood, huh?  That'll be nifty to see.  Good luck on the build, looking forward to following along.

Yes, I have a board that's been waiting. The nice thing is it very hard and will only get more beautiful with wear and oiling. I think I'm going to use it in a few other places, probably for trim.

43 minutes ago, radin2son said:

SMB put a thin rubber coated step over the OEM step. Wore thru in no time. Brushed on some bed liner and it’s holding up fine. 

SMB added a box behind the rear passenger side wheel well to hold jack etc. Same width as wheel well back to rear door and easy to get to without unloading a lot of stuff. 

Thanks RAD, I could use some bedliner in grey to improve the worn driver and passenger step wells.

That box storage is another great spot. I haven't had a careful look to see the attaching options - wonder what SMB? did? I'm thinking about putting spare diesel heater fuel tank  under there somewhere.

Builder, This may not help, but SMB uses marine grade plywood, and in NV builds, vinyl covering. Other flooring options available when setting up a build. 

The box in the photo is attached to the flooring, similar to the cabinets. On the outside is the external shower hookup. 

The bed platform form can be removed but the “couch” blocks passage.  

DEE8DA22-87B4-4B70-ACB4-83300941143D.jpeg

1 hour ago, radin2son said:

Builder, This may not help, but SMB uses marine grade plywood, and in NV builds, vinyl covering. Other flooring options available when setting up a build. 

The box in the photo is attached to the flooring, similar to the cabinets. On the outside is the external shower hookup. 

The bed platform form can be removed but the “couch” blocks passage.  

DEE8DA22-87B4-4B70-ACB4-83300941143D.jpeg

Thanks RAD  for the info. Marine plywood is a bit overbuild for my first attempt but I might use it in the future, Who/what is SMB? A supplier? Still getting used to the acronyms! I have some quality birch ply for my cabinets currently.  I do like that location for a shower, if/when I decide to put a cabinet there. For the moment a cabinet there is too crowded. I want a fairly basic build for my first try. I'm trying to balance all the great ideas from other builds but it's a bit overwhelming. Keep all the tips, tricks and suggestions coming! I really appreciate it!

Here is the old battery and why I replaced it! Leaky, under sized and under rated. I've readIMG_20221006_0851125.thumb.jpg.99efa9d1161ac9c21180fc8d5b61a086.jpg that buildup can be caused by improper alternator performance?

Sportsmobile (SMB) has built camper vans since 1961, first out of El Paso. 3 years later, relocated to Indiana. In 1990, expanded to California.

NV conversions (30), built in Fresno, California were poorly marketed. We bought ours in 2012 with plans to keep it 10 years. 

Recently a hightop SMB NV was for sale ($45k) at their Austin, Texas facility. A great price given the solid build and extras. 

More than you asked for...

E801DAF6-9F46-4521-A502-3ED12BC40497.jpeg

39 minutes ago, radin2son said:

Sportsmobile (SMB) has built camper vans since 1961, first out of El Paso. 3 years later, relocated to Indiana. In 1990, expanded to California.

NV conversions (30), built in Fresno, California were poorly marketed. We bought ours in 2012 with plans to keep it 10 years. 

Recently a hightop SMB NV was for sale ($45k) at their Austin, Texas facility. A great price given the solid build and extras. 

More than you asked for...

Nice camping spot! I see a reason to keep the handle grips now  lol. Thanks for explaining SMB - good reason to pay someone to do conversion if able.

Edited by Builder

Camper out of a box. Just add gear, water and a campsite.  

On 11/6/2022 at 8:48 PM, Builder said:

Yes, I have a board that's been waiting. The nice thing is it very hard and will only get more beautiful with wear and oiling. I think I'm going to use it in a few other places, probably for trim.

Yah I'm familiar, having worked on wooden boats.  Tough stuff to work with, from a tooling perspective!  What size battery did you end up installing?

On 11/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, Local Apparent Friday said:

Yah I'm familiar, having worked on wooden boats.  Tough stuff to work with, from a tooling perspective!  What size battery did you end up installing?

Curiously, my Grandpa carved a Chippendale chair out of ironwood, so I've always been intrigued and inspired. He also built a few boats! When a supplier brought a bunch of ironwood in a few years ago there was one board that had a rippled grain so I had to buy it! I won't be putting it through the planer but will sure wreck a bunch of router bits though! I'm not sure which species though as a lot of woods are marketed as ironwood. It's buried right now so I'll post a picture of it when I can.

I don't expect to need large capacity batteries to start and they are still on the shopping list but probably will get two AGM 125a/hr locally. In a couple of years I expect to update capacity and likely go for LiFePO to power things like induction stove, ninja cooker, demand water heater, TV, games console... ?

This is what the grain looks like loosely. I think this sample is sapelle.

Figure-Sapelle-Cooktown-Ironwood-Ebony-Cabinet-by-Will-Marx-5.jpg

Edited by Builder
Dumbassery

Found a minute to drag the ironwood board out, all 16 feet of it! It has some really nice figuring to it. For the side step well and probably trim or something - not there yet. Also, pulled out of storage all my insulation (blue, reflectix), sound deadening mat,  water tanks, pump, toilet, freezer, trailer hitch, tiny chair. Still not sure about installing a toilet and sink right away but I want to plan on where the tanks I already have will go. Mostly, to balance the weight. Did anyone actually do the centre of gravity calculations? Seems too complex for my cpu. That 12V freezer I have is a DIY and I had it running with a very impressive sipping of power. I will have to redesign the outer shell to fit in my van.IMG_20221115_1443193.thumb.jpg.3612bdff92a2d78b4c7aa8a0ae15eff7.jpgIMG_20221115_1444064.thumb.jpg.661c01166b0143b3e15cdbbf46e67bec.jpg

Since I like to pre-prepare meals and freeze them it will work perfect. I prefer top loading fridges and freezers. I have a garage sale find which is food warmer but it actually gets really hot and I have several baking pans that fit inside - which will have meals frozen in them. Running around all day in the van means by supper time or earlier it is fully heated! Draws about 5-9Amps. Notice the do not use while driving warning lol. I imagine the pan could be partitioned if I was fussy about stuff mixing. Maybe a chocolate lava cake off to the side! Only one pan to clean! But then there are those Ninja air fryers. I like those too...just a lot more power required! Thanks for looking and for your helpful comments - always much appreciated!

IMG_20221115_1531057_1.thumb.jpg.124c87365eab608d54aa013071c3b38e.jpg

Gorgeous piece of lumber, it'll be neat to see it in place.

Interesting tidbit of Americana...at one point in history, stainless boxes were regularly obtainable that secured to the exhaust manifolds and allowed one to cook food while driving using the heat from the engine.  Likely would come with one of those fancy california warning stickers, these days.

6 hours ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

Gorgeous piece of lumber, it'll be neat to see it in place.

Interesting tidbit of Americana...at one point in history, stainless boxes were regularly obtainable that secured to the exhaust manifolds and allowed one to cook food while driving using the heat from the engine.  Likely would come with one of those fancy california warning stickers, these days.

Thanks LAF,  I've figured out how to create the finger  joints for the curves and will used the existing bolts to hold it down and plugs covering the holes.  It's cool to remember the inventiveness of the past. Long ago as teens we had fun with it but nothing custom made on the manifold. That would be a great artifact to drive into a vintage car show with, lol. Cancer and distracted driver warnings for sure! The aroma would drive everyone off the road - or on your tail!

Found this Vent-Miser today at Value Village for $2.99 so I couldn't resist. Tested it out and it's very quiet. I doubt it would wake me up when it opens or closes. I'm still researching venting options in addition/combination with the roof Maxxair vent. How would you use this timed open/close vent? Trying to image how I can change the airflow in the van at different times of the day. One idea is have it installed near the bed so it will allow air to draw across the bed for a few hours while it is hottest at night and shuts down when it's cool. Or...opposite...on a cool or freezing day change where the air intake is. For the diesel heater vent? Change where the heat is directed at specific times of the day? Direct heat to under bed enclosure at night only while sleeping? House area during day?  For cooling air across the electrical/battery bay? It runs on batteries. Maybe it's just too much a gimmick? lol

IMG_20221117_2100476_1(1).thumb.jpg.e206f6d53a02e00386bd4bc8e785ac0d.jpg

Edited by Builder