Nancy

NV2500 sliding door stuck - any updates?

Brand new 2021 Nissan NV2500 High Roof with automatic locks, and the sliding door gets stuck shut.  We had a 2012 with manual locks and as it got older it happened more and more.  In the old one, I could give it a swift kick and it would pop open.  That is not working for the new van. Any updates on how to get the door open and has anyone figured how to correct the problem?  

Here are some pictures of how I solved this frequent problem in my 2021 NV2500.  Let's hope it is a permanent fix.  Pic1 is of the door mechanism after pulling off the interior panel and plastic.  Pic2 is of the adjustment mechanism for the lower rear latch.  For my van, this was the one that was stuck.  Pic3 is of the 8mm socket I used to loosen and tighten the bolt that holds the bracket in place.  The hole for the bolt is slotted, so I simply moved it to tighten the cable.  After making the adjustment, I pressed the latch and the door opened normally.  I hope this helps others with a similar problem.  

Sliding Door Latch Mechanism1.jpg

Sliding Door Latch Mechanism2.jpg

Sliding Door Latch Mechanism3.jpg

Did that 2 years ago.  Still working.

Adding to this post rather than starting a new one...apologies in advance for the detail...

The sliding door on my 2021 Nissan NV 2500 HR is stuck.  It will not open from inside or outside. 

I bought the van new and have been slowly converting it to a camper.  The side door worked fine for the first couple of years and then became stuck in the early winter.  Took it to the dealer and they managed to open it...said that I needed to make sure that the door was completely shut so the outside of the door was flush w/ the side of the van.  Had to slam the door really hard to shut to get it flush...all was well for a little while...then, I managed not to close the door completely and it became stuck again.   

I took it to the dealer about 10 days ago, they couldn't open it but finally must have because they replaced the hinges.  The service manager acknowledged that the new hinges likely wouldn't solve things because the door is out of alignment which is causing it to jam????  He also said that it may have gone out of alignment from the weight of large stationary window that they had installed for me when I bought the van????    He went on say that the door has to be closed flush and demonstrated that not doing so would cause it not to open...said I'd then have to pull on the door and slam my shoulder against the door to bump it open.  He demonstrated the body slam.

All was fine for a few days at home...wonderful to be able to open that door to work inside the van on the hot days.  Well, one day, I didn't slam it shut properly and bam...stuck again.  Tried to body slam it from the inside like the service manager showed me but to no avail.  I'm just not strong enough and my old bones & joints just can't be doing stuff like that.  

Climbing through the cab to access the living space on a permanent basis isn't a real option...old bones/joints. I'm at my wits end and thinking about throwing in the towel on my build.     I have not yet tried the fix that @Nancy and @aztec have used because I don't know it doing so will void what's left of my warranty.  I'd greatly appreciate any direction/suggestions.

Thank you!

RightSideofVan copy.jpg

Tighten the cable as described.  Common problem, verified fix.  Warranty?  You've just seen how valuable the warranty service is.

@aztec

Hey, thanks for the reply.   Just found a youtube video by Alexander von Guggenberg that shows the same fix.  I'm going to give it a try...fingers crossed?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFb4gGKuNyY

Edited by NVinNE

On 1/25/2023 at 9:02 AM, Nancy said:

Brand new 2021 Nissan NV2500 High Roof with automatic locks, and the sliding door gets stuck shut.  We had a 2012 with manual locks and as it got older it happened more and more.  In the old one, I could give it a swift kick and it would pop open.  That is not working for the new van. Any updates on how to get the door open and has anyone figured how to correct the problem?  

After 4+ years of complaining to dealerships over 8 different states, none of the dealerships had a clue what was wrong or how to fix it. Finally took the vehicle back to the original purchase location and insisted that the lock be replaced under warranty.. A complete replacement of the lock mechanism fixed the problem. In the past 8 months, it has stuck one time, but a solid push on the front inside of the door knocked it loose.  My best recommendation.  YMMV