boxpusher

DRL Fuse removed... Still getting power to one LED bulb

Hola Fellas and Fellettes,

Quick backstory

After pulling out what little hair my kids hadn't caused to fall out trying to figure out how to install titan headlights on my rig and then realizing that it would be a waste of money black and white fly GIF by RocketJump 

I decided to go the LED route. Purchased some Torch beams* and they worked fine (DRL fuse removed) until one day I parked slightly further from the garage door than I normally do and realized I was getting a flicker with the headlights off. This was especially strange b/c it is only on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Checked the fuse... YUP still out. Checked for voltage and am really confused as i am not getting a reading on the connector (bulb out(I should however plug the bulb in and test again now that i think of it)) So I did the next logical thing.. I decided the LEDs were bad RMA'd them gave a horrible review and bought a set of sealights. Whatdayaknow (yes its one word to me) it did nothing, same issue (torchbeam review updated with apology). I then reached out to sealight and they sent decoders which got super hot and burned me, so I tossed all that in the garbagio. Sealight was kind enough to reimburse me for the new set of lights and let me keep them (probably b/c they thought they were fried at this point). 

Soooo i'm driven down the road with what I feel may resemble that of Deebo (friday the movie) RIP (One mean muggin half blind (fact:TL jr was half blind since birth) road bully) tiny lister threat GIF I digress>

I plan to reinstall the stock bulbs and fuse to see if everything is working as it should. figured I'd throw this one out there to see if its just me or maybe just point something out that you will never be able to unsee and drive you crazy from now until forever or at least until someone figures out what is going on.. A statement then a question:

From what I have read in a recent thread is that the DRL fuse allows the headlamp circuitry to run in series thus reducing the voltage to produce the beautiful "dead battery in my kids camping flashlight that I paid $0.32 for, pre-2020 >>>>of course" look

Anyone ever take a close look at what their LEDs are doing when the lights are in the off position and the DRL fuse has been removed?

Update: I installed the stock bulbs and with the fuse (F3) in or out the DRLs are still on. Searched through posts and have not found any wiring schematics for the lighting on these, Can anyone point me in the right direction please?  I will be searching for the short in the weeks to come. thank you 

Found this in section "EXL" of the shop service manual.  Not a straight forward system for controlling the daytime running lights.  Assuming that is what you are meaning by DRLs

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM.docx

LEDs seem to add some nuances.  I have the torchbeam and love them, but have noticed recently that they are interfering with my FM radio reception.  I normally don't use air broadcast, so I don't know if they've always interfered or if it's new.  Either way, I'm going to order a choke and see if that solves the issue. 

Additionally, the cluster light for my temp gauge and fuel gauge seems to be getting some residual from somewhere...they are very faintly illuminated when the van is off, but not with any consistency.  Sometimes they are completely off, other times a faint glow.  Bumping the vehicle around doesn't seem to change it.  That though I'm chalking up to the rest of the LEDs that I did, as it didn't occur until I swapped all the turns/brakes/running lights.