Sign in to follow this  
JanuszSki

Rear sonar sensor problem

There are a lot of firsts, navigation, backup sensors and backup camera, for us with our NV. The only feature not on the general complaint list is the camera, unless it was included with the inside rear view mirror and head rests. Our backup sensors do not like shadows or drop offs.

So, how do these options compare with those on Nissans or other manufactures? Are we talking about Nissan using old technology across the Nissan line? Just NV?

"No vehicle is perfect" is not a great response; we heard this previously in a service complaint, not mine. Is "It (current technology) is what it is" any better?

I did not know what to expect, but I'm surprised the sensor (and navigation) problem was not known by others prior to purchase and thereby a deal killer. So, we are left with an annoyance or work around. Or, Nissan comes up with a solution and fixes it

i was at my customers house yesterday and he owns a 2014 infinity. he was telling me they recalled his infinity to upgrade the bluetooth. i guess it also affected nissans flagship vehicles too. Maybe with enough feedback they will do the NV's too. 

My 6 year old sprinter and 2 year old chevy traverse have perfect working sonar systems and the traverse has a fully functioning and perfect bluetooth and navigation. no hit and miss like the nissan. 

Rick

x

Edited by Jerry

Jerry, if you figure it out post back!  I hate the things.  They beep randomly and my dealer just shrugs about it.  What I love is they beep for no reason but I can crawl up to somebody in front of me until I am near on top of them and they dont beep!  Of course the next time I try they beep like crazy so they have no "normal" range of function.  

harold50... while that does negate the sonar from beeping, it does not solve the problem. As now it no longer works when it is supposed to either.  If I just paid $40K for a vehicle, I would expect this sort of "known and developed" technology to actually work the way it is supposed to work. I shouldn't have to make work-arounds so that my vehicle doesn't annoy me all the time. 

And Chris_commercialmanager, your initial answer of, "no vehicle is perfect", is not acceptable at all.  If I had purchased my NVP from your dealership and that was the answer you gave me when I came in about this issue, I would have given you the vehicle back right there and walked to another dealership with my 40K...

You are yet another person who does not read things, and wants to troll for problems.  I did not make that statement in regards to a problem, yet in reference to the fact that there is no one perfect vehicle for anyone because a vehicle is not designed for just one person, but the general public and will usually represent some sort of compromise.  

For you to even suggest that if someone came in to me with an issue and suggest I would respond like that is insulting.  I have spoken with and tried to help many people here, on my own time, because I care.  I do the same for my customers that purchase here.  

You sir, should read things before you start throwing insults.

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager

One of my sonar sensors in the rear bumper is loose and doesn't stay in the bumper.

It seems that bracket (jacket?) that holds sensor is broken but the sensor is perfectly good so I want to replace it.

When I mention this my dealer offered to replace whole sensor at the cost of $ 230 + labor when all I need is small plastic bracket. Does any one have idea where can I get it?

Did you ever get this resolved? We took a long trip along I-95 (put about 2,700 miles on our 2014 3500HD SL) and in South Carolina, my wife hit something on the road, which cracked our front license plate holder and took out both of the sonar sensors. After stopping at a gas station, I can see the sensor inside the bumper, but I don't know how to re-attach them to the bumper. It seems one needs a bracket that holds them in the "metal" bumper. Any help would be appreciated.

The plastic sensor will cost you $225 each or so to replace. Dealers don't stock these so it will take a day or so to get one/two ordered. The plastic around the sensor breaks and there is little left to hold it in place. Someone suggested a grommet and glue... I went ahead and replaced a rear one that I or someone else knocked out.

Before you do anything, check to see if it still works. That is if you can get it to stay in place...

Edited by radin2son

The plastic sensor will cost you $225 each or so to replace. Dealers don't stock these so it will take a day or so to get one/two ordered. The plastic around the sensor breaks and there is little left to hold it in place. Someone suggested a grommet and glue... I went ahead and replaced a rear one that I or someone else knocked out.

Before you do anything, check to see if it still works. That is if you can get it to stay in place...

$225 to replace what? I mean, what does $225 buy me? And thanks for the suggestion about them still working. I'll test that tonight with some tape or something. I know the sonar starts beeping the moment I start moving and I've had to disable it every time I start the car..

Sorry, I didn't see your reply.

The whole unit, sensor and short wire to the plugin is what will be replaced if the sensor doesn't work or you can't get it to stay in place.

On our NV, after a rear sensor was punched back into the bumper, the system beeped until I disabled it the same way you did. The sensor probably still worked, but I really didn't think It would stay in place. Basically, it is a cheaply made, expensive ($235.20) part to replace. Even worse, they are exposed...

Has anyone figured out a way to disable the sensors permanently?  Mine are terrible.  They'll beep randomly on their own and then wont beep as I pull within a foot of a wall!  I know you can hit the switch every time but that isnt ideal.  

Has anyone figured out a way to disable the sensors permanently?  Mine are terrible.  They'll beep randomly on their own and then wont beep as I pull within a foot of a wall!  I know you can hit the switch every time but that isnt ideal.  

I would also like to know.  I have a 2013 and 2015, and both of them beep all the time for no reason.  Once I hit something, and they never beeped.  But I'll be at a stop light with no one around, and they just keep beeping.

When we went to the dealership to look at the NV3500 the dealer first brought out a black NV3500. When I went to drive it the sonar would not stop beeping. 

He brought out the one we ended up buying, and it didn't have the issue. That said, ours beeps for no reason so many times when we are driving it, it is annoying. We've had two vehicles in the past that have had a sonar unit, and none of them have the problems the NV3500 does with its sonars. It is probably the most disappointing part of the vehicle. Though, we love the car overall.

I hope that they figured out what was wrong with that black NV's sonars. It just wouldn't stop!

Sorry, I didn't see your reply.

The whole unit, sensor and short wire to the plugin is what will be replaced if the sensor doesn't work or you can't get it to stay in place.

On our NV, after a rear sensor was punched back into the bumper, the system beeped until I disabled it the same way you did. The sensor probably still worked, but I really didn't think It would stay in place. Basically, it is a cheaply made, expensive ($235.20) part to replace. Even worse, they are exposed...

Yeah, this is UNBELIEVABLE!!! I can't believe that it's all 1 piece and they didn't think to separate the 2 knowing it is an electrical item that is exposed and could break. The worse part is that as I look at a fix for this, I think this is going to look pretty ugly... if anyone else can chime in as to how they rigged this, please let me know! But for now, I'm starting to think I'm going to go in and just take that switch out and set a relay in there to turn off the sensors after a couple of minutes of the car turning on.

I have had the 3500 2013 for close to 3 years and the sensor popped off a few years ago (someone hit it) and i got it replaced but the cover to the sensor finally fell off and now the piece keeps on falling out. I tried to just remove the sensor piece so it wont beep but now the switch up front flashes and it doesn't work on the other 3. Any place to buy an extra cover for one sensor?