joann

Ignition key won't turn

Hi, I have a Nissan NV3500. On 4 occasions the ignition key wouldn't turn. I've tried moving the steering wheel, jiggling the shifter, pushing on the brake peddle, locking, unlocking the doors, jiggling the key in and out, back and forth, using the spare key and swearing. Nothing works then all of a sudden, it will turn. It has taken up to 15 minutes to finally turn. Any ideas? It has less than 3000 miles. Thanks! Jo

x

Edited by Jerry

Back in early 2013, there was a recall (13V-095) to ensure the gear selector plate was installed correctly. If this plate is askew, it might not be in park when the display says it is. I believe the recall primarily was to visually ensure it was installed "straight" not crooked. If not, the dealer would most likely reinstall it on the spot.

I always thought the concern was that the vehicle might move when you took your foot off the brake. It may have nothing to do with turning the ignition key.

If you are told this no longer is a problem, but they have not changed the design, it still could be the result of a sloppy install.

To digress a bit, the rear door latches in 2013 were replaced as the result of a recall. Mine were replaced but the replaced left side got stuck inside the door at 30000+ mi. When I told the service manager this, he simply said it would be replaced.

So if the service writer looks at you blankly, ask to speak to the manager. He/she will know.

Edited by radin2son

That really really sounds like a worn out key, I guess that's not the case though....

I would certainly look to the lock cylinder next.  Bottom line is you need to get it to the dealer.  If you've tried different keys and elminated that they'll need to spend some $$ and investigate further.

I've personally never heard of that before.

Can you turn the key when the transmission is in R? If not, and the gear selector plate is off slightly, it may or may not sense it is in park. In this case, it does work most of the time even if the plate is askew.

has happened to me about 4-5 times on my 2013 nv passenger  got it to work in about 30 secs to a min.   

this happend to me once in my 2007 sante fe and i was there for like 15 min.. googling and eveything trying to figure it out.

Edited by MrOlaf

Having this issue right now.  Got into the van last night with my Son and put the key in like always and nothing.  Tried a bunch of different things and even had my wife take us home and got the back-up key thinking that the sensor wasn't working in the key.  In the end I had to get towed and taking it to the shop today.  So anyone have an updated answer?

NV 2500 2012 model with around 35,000 miles(still new).  

Thanks for any ideas!