MrOlaf

backup camera

How hard would it be to wire in an override switch to display the rear view image on the monitor. The rear view mirror is useless (in the passenger version as everyone knows). So I would like to flip a button and see what's behind me on the monitor while clipping down the highway.

Does the camera look far enough behind the van to be worth it? I'll have to look next time I'm in it to see but I thought you're only really clearly seeing what is directly behind you.

I ended up removing all the headrests so I have a better line of sight behind me. Right now my passengers don't require head rests.

on my sprinter and gmc w4500, i have the camera i installed running full time since there are no rear windows. never had an issue and have thousands of hours on them. 

I suggest to install a dedicated camera and monitor for this purpose. this way you can aim it and not void any of your warranty with the factory rear view. i suggest a wired camera and not a wireless. under $200. for a very good setup. 

Rick. 

Stuff like that gets iffy these days.  It's not that you couldn't figure out a bypass with a wiring schematic technically get it to work, because I'm sure you could.  But my question would be what impact would that have on other operating systems on board.  I would definitely second the just mount another one because they are cheap solution!

Mr. Olaf,

I found a solution to the rear view mirror issue in the passenger vans that has worked quite well for many of my customers. It's an adjustable camera that replaces the third brake light. You can leave it on all the time while driving, and adjust it to use as a "virtual" rear view mirror, or only have it come on when you back up. There are different monitors available as well, but I typically use the one that completely replaces the factory mirror with a monitor that attaches to the same mount. This seems to provide the best picture. I have been having them installed on I'd say over half the units we sell. So far, the owners all LOVE them.

I will see if I can figure out how to upload some photos of the next one I have installed.

Cool, yeah get some pictures up and maybe which model it is. Thanks

The system I recommend is here http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/camera-systems/rvs-912619p-rear-view-camera-system-nissan-nv-backup-camera-system.html. We had so many requests for them that we've now become a distributor.

If you order it yourself, be sure to specify ADJUSTABLE camera unless you only want to use for backup and not be able to adjust the up/down angle of camera. You can also choose from different monitor options. The replacement mirror http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/individual-components/monitors/mirror-mounted-monitors/rear-view-replacement-mirror-monitor.html is the one I have typically used. This provides the largest view and ability to turn on all the time when driving. Unless you have done this type of work before, I would advise you to seek help from an experienced professional that can do the installation properly.

If you're close enough to Wilmington, NC or just want an excuse to take a road trip, we do stock the above mentioned monitor and adjustable camera, and I have 3 experienced techs who can install in conjunction with your next service appointment for a very reasonable cost. Make a day trip put of it, and take the kids to the beach or one of the other many attractions in the area!

That's fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I've got my parts department on it.

I love this... Actual, factual communication for our benefit, dealer and owners.

One thing with commercial vehicles is there's lots of little upfits and specialty products out there.  Every time I chat with my counterparts at other Nissan dealers I wind up learning something new.  

We've ordered two. Shipping to our border storage place and when we make a parts run down at the start of may we'll pick it up.

I stand corrected. Works out just fine to ship to us here in canada. good stuff. CAn't wait 

I want one of these- but Wilmington is too far from me. Do you guys know any dealers in North Georgia? How much do you charge for the install? I'm guessing any car audio dealer could do this but I'd rather keep with a Nissan dealer since this isn't a normal widely available vehicle- don't know if the directions/schematics for the NV3500 are widely available or not.

Sorry, I don't have a listing of who else might be a distributor for the Camera Systems. This was something I researched and got setup for the benefit of my customers since I had so many asking for a solution, and I wasn't happy with the aftermarket solutions available here locally.

Feel free to have the Commercial Vehicle Manager or Parts/Service Director at your local NV Dealer contact me directly and I can get them in contact with the proper people to make it happen.

jteter@capitalnissan.com

(910) 782-3050 (office-Direct)

Anyone have an opinion on adding a windshield mount monitor and leaving the factory reflective mirror in place?  That way I can see behind the van but also see the people in the van.  Seems like there is plenty of space above the factory mirror to add the monitor.

Thanks.

Edited by rduncan610

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/individual-components/monitors/mirror-mounted-monitors/oem-replacement-mirror-monitor.html

I would recommend going with the aftermarket LCD Monitor for the backup camera system that attaches to your windshield bracket and then getting an aftermarket ADD-ON reflective mirror.

The reason is, the monitor like I have been installing is a much larger 7" LCD screen than what a typical rearview system comes with, and it mounts to the factory mirror bracket that's attached to the windshield. Aftermarket reflective mirrors are low-cost and easy to find (just google "aftermarket convex rearview mirror")  that can be mounted above or below this, or even possibly attached to the sunglasses holder.

There are also replacement mirror monitors available(like the one found in the link above)  that retain the reflective mirror, and have an image behind this that comes on when you put it in reverse, but these typically have a VERY SMALL video image that's not nearly as useful, and cannot be used while driving as a "virtual rearview mirror".

Hope this helps...

That makes sense. The reflective mirror becomes less important, but I would lose the compass on mine.

By the way, the maiden voyage of my new NV was last week to Sunset Beach NC from Texas.  I was tempted to run up to Wilmington, but the family wasn't keen on that idea.  Go figure.

Congrats on the NEW NVP! I'm sure you'll get ALOT of enjoyment out of it!

It's a shame that you didn't find this earlier and send me a message prior to your trip...Sunset Beach is only 30-45 minutes from my house. I met another family at Carolina Beach one morning last week where they were staying on vacation in their new NVP and brought it up to have a DVD system install and other mods done to it, and then took it back to them that evening after work. I loaned them another one to drive for the day so it wouldn't interrupt their vacation, and would have done the same for you!

Best Of Luck to you. Shoot me an email or something if I can help.

-Jacob

I just purchased the backup camera that Jacob has talked about.   Does anyone have any video's posted of an install?  If not I may just go ahead and do one.  If you're on the East Coast then I'm sure a trip to Jacob and you'll be all set, but I'm about 2000 miles from him and I'm sure others are as well.  Also, if you are out of range of Cap Nissan and doing the install yourself, you might check out Amazon which has the same kit for a few less pennies.

Jacob, you willing to share any tips'n tricks?  Seems like a pretty straight forward install.  I'm thinking for running a channel down to the mirror for the wires from the overhead bin.  Also, speaking of overhead bin..  was wondering if I could avoid pulling the whole bin down, or was there an easier way to get the wiring up there.  I figure the map lights will provide me a 12v source and probably enough room to tuck the receiver up there too somewhere, but I haven't really layed out a plan yet.

Miles

Hi Miles,

I'll discuss this with the techs in my service department and get you some detailed answers...hopefully tomorrow. If you don't hear from me send me a reminder.

I haven't personally installed them before or taken the time to see exactly how they've been doing it. However, I can say that they are running a main power line to the fuse block under the hood. Use a connector that allows you to plug the wire into one of the empty slots where a fuse would normally go for power. We've found that it's best to purchase a special connector for this separately to avoid having issues with it coming loose later. I would definitely NOT recommend getting power by jumping it off of another circuit, though. Also, you'll want to use a circuit that's switched with the ignition. I'll find out specifically what circuits they recommend...

You most definitely do not want to do anything that could jeopardize any potential warranty claims in the future since you have a five year 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. Of course, I am assuming that you have a 2014 or newer model NV.

-Jacob Teter

Thanks JT.   Definitely coming from fuse block is a better idea.  Used to working on older cars and boats where you can somewhat grab power from anywhere, but as a warning to others...  where there is a computer involved, even tapping into a map light could throw a sensor of some sort off and as Jacob mentions, that makes a mess of the Warranty.  There's usually a spare for a connector.  We do have a 2014.  And as it's a cargo van, we're probably going to run the camera any time the truck is running so we effectively have a "rear-view mirror" .  

Also, for those who will DIY this.  If you are like us without a factory mirror already, I went to a local used car parts/salvage store.  The 2nd mirror I tried was the exact match and only around $10.00.  Much better than paying $70+ for a mirror whose only purpose is to have a place to hang the monitor.  

Jacob,

We are going to Sunset beach again in June and would like to have the rearview camera installed. Can you give me an idea what it would cost?

Richard