Sign in to follow this  
pttdds

softening the ride -- is there a reasonable way to do it?

As the owner of an NV3500 passenger van, I know that the ride is stiff because it has basically the suspension of a 1 ton truck.  However, just in case it can be easily done, I have to ask if there is a reasonable way to make the ride a bit softer.  On many roads the pavement is quite choppy making the ride of our van a bit tiring on longer trips.  If there were something that could buffer the initial stiffness of the suspension and still not effect the load capacity of the van it could make a big difference in the riding comfort.

Don 

Personally that's why I went with the 2500 instead of the 3500. There's not a huge difference in the load carrying capacity. A 1 ton suspension is very stiff & made for hauling heavy loads. If you have a lot of weight in the rear you will find that it rides much better.

My last van was a Chevy 3500 1 ton & I know exactly what you are describing.

There a number of things you can try: removing a leaf spring, adjustable shocks, air bags, etc. If you remove a leaf spring be aware that it will affect the load carrying capacity of your van. I'm sure others will offer some help soon. Give them time to reply.

Also remember you have load range E tires. They have a very stiff sidewall made to support a heavy load and are part of the problem. If you are driving with no  or very little load, you can always reduce the air pressure in them. Some folks think that because they are rated for 75 - 80 PSI that you have to run that in them all the time. Not true. I always run about 55 - 60 PSI in my fronts  and 60 - 65 in my rears when not towing my heavy trailer. I air up the rears when towing. If you tow a heavy trailer AND use a weight distributing hitch, you need to air up the fronts a little more also.

Edited by vanguy

I would have told you the exact same first step as van guy.  Check your tire pressure and back off it's near the max.  That will have an impact, maybe not as much as you want but it will help.

Beyond that I'd say if you are prepared to spend some money, get yourself some adjustable shocks.  Call Bilstein, they are second to none and very very helpful over the phone.  They will have something for you I'm willing to bet.  

If you reduce the tire pressure below the TPMS setting, you will get a low psi warning message. (You can experiment with how low you can reduce psi before it kicks in.) When it does, you can make the message go away until the next time you turn on the ignition. It is just annoying!

Jon Nelson mentioned recalibrating the TPMS for larger tires, same rims. I did not think you could recalibrate it, but it makes sense. The system is probably shared with many Nissans.

If I had to do this, I would go with the Bilstein shocks. No messing with tire pressure and not as radical as removing a leaf, particularly for resale down the road.

x

Edited by Jerry

If you reduce the tire pressure below the TPMS setting, you will get a low psi warning message. (You can experiment with how low you can reduce psi before it kicks in.) When it does, you can make the message go away until the next time you turn on the ignition. It is just annoying!

Jon Nelson mentioned recalibrating the TPMS for larger tires, same rims. I did not think you could recalibrate it, but it makes sense. The system is probably shared with many Nissans.

If I had to do this, I would go with the Bilstein shocks. No messing with tire pressure and not as radical as removing a leaf, particularly for resale down the road.

I don't believe I would go below the TPMS setting either. Probably not safe.

I've noticed that dealers set psi at 1-3 psi over what is required for NVs.

I've dropped the tire pressure to 50 front and 70 rear with no complaints from the TPMS so far.  There is a noticeable difference in the ride.  Will consider gradually approaching 60 psi with the rears over time.  Getting feedback from friends and neighbors not to get carried away with the tire pressure reduction even though I'm hardly carrying any load.

While discovering many rave reviews for other vehicles, so far I cannot find which Bilstein shocks fit the NV3500.  The 5100's came up specifically noting that they did NOT fit.  Does anyone know a specific designation that fits?

This has been a very helpful discussion.

Thanks.

Don

Again I suggest you give them a call.  Those guys have an AWESOME product and equally fantastic customer service.  They will guide in the right direction even if your just "investigating".  I can't imagine they would not have a product for what you are looking to do.  

I have used them time and time again on my personal vehicles over the years and have nothing but great things to say.

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager