Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

NV travel photos

The versatility of NVs is amazing.

On our 35 day trip, we drove the Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez, MS to Memphis, TN. 444 miles of beautiful scenery and history. The parkway follows along the Trace except for 2 sections totaling 5 miles, when you actually drive on the Trace following the ridge line. RVs are prohibited on both one way sections. No need for 4x4.

The turn around point was Washington DC. Parking was made a whole lot easier with a temporary resident permit our son-in-law obtained for us. We didn't have to drive too much in DC, as our son-in-law gave us good directions on how to get into and out of DC. Totally confused the Navigation.

post-376-0-87884600-1433712029_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-70206000-1433712050_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-36551700-1433712073_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-52363000-1433712098_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

Nice trip.  Just drove that route in April.  Does your van have Quigley 4x4?  If so, how do you like it?  Picking up a new 2014 with 4x4 on Friday in Morgantown, WV.  Thanks, Kevin

No 4x4.

Posted these because Chris at Scott Clark Nissan wanted to know if we ever drove off pavement. We mostly drive on paved secondary roads in the western states. If needed, we will drive on dirt or gravel roads but turn around long before they become 4x4 only.

You will have to post photos of your 2014 and where you drive it.

Edited by radin2son

x

Edited by Jerry

I hope others post photos of what their NVs are hauling, towing and where they are traveling this summer.

My photos were just to kick start this and then sit back and read...

The versatility of NVs is amazing.

On our 35 day trip, we drove the Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez, MS to Memphis, TN. 444 miles of beautiful scenery and history. The parkway follows along the Trace except for 2 sections totaling 5 miles, when you actually drive on the Trace following the ridge line. RVs are prohibited on both one way sections. No need for 4x4.

The turn around point was Washington DC. Parking was made a whole lot easier with a temporary resident permit our son-in-law obtained for us. We didn't have to drive too much in DC, as our son-in-law gave us good directions on how to get into and out of DC. Totally confused the Navigation.

As you know I don't have the time to travel at the moment, I love looking at the pics of all your adventures.  That looks like a nice wide path you were on.  Can't scratch up the sides rubbing against bushes and things :)

Nice photos!  Are you using stock tires?  I have Firestone Transforce HT's on mine and they dont seem to have much traction at some of the state park dirt roads we have been on when they are wet.  They also like to hold gravel and then fling said gravel against the underside once on the road.  I am on gravel about once a week since we buy all our dairy from a local farm and his access road is gravel.  I'm thinking of upgrading to something with a bit more bite on dirt that will still eject stone before getting up to speed.

We leave this Thur for a 10 day camping trip.  6 or 7 days at Big Bone Lick State Park in KY and the rest in the Smokey Mountain National Park, TN.  First big tow with the NVP and it will be a good one through the Appalachians.  

Chris, No cowboy pin stripes yet...

ASD Dad, Still have the stock tires. I'm looking at possible tires but can't decide between road and not too aggressive AT tires. No complaints with the oem tires, so may stick with them.

Post photos of your travels. Love the names of eastern campgrounds.

Edited by radin2son

I'll be taking plenty of photos so will try and get some up here.  This is our first time camping in KY.  I have family in OH that is coming down to camp with us and the park gets really good reviews with lots of stuff for the kids to do.  We normally camp south or along the coast.  We head out 3-5 times a year with one two larger trips and the others more local and try to stick with State Parks.  

My tires are brand new so cant swap them out just yet unless they just dont work out for us on more trips.  I think I will definitely be upgrading to more of an all terrain when the time comes.

I had the dealer change the stock Firestones for 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs on my NV 3500 4x4 cargo van.  To aggressive of a tread for a passenger van but I'll use the van off road.  I'll report back after I drive the 13 hours home from the dealership.  Thanks, Kevin 

A great resource to bring as you travel to national parks is "Your Guide to the National Parks" published by Stone Road Press. We wish they had one for national monuments.

KMG, if you ever travel to Canyonlands UT bring a copy with you. Almost entirely "no service." Without this book, we might never have found Love Muffin Cafe in Moab. Great coffee and breakfast, plus everyone has that disheveled look of having too much fun to care what you look like.

Post some photos after you pick up your NVP. 13 hours should qualify as a summer trip...

Edited by radin2son

Funny you mention Canyonlands.  I was just talking about that area yesterday with my girlfriend.  One of the most beautiful spots we've ever stayed is in arches very close to there, a little no services campground called Hittle Bottom right off of the Colorado river.  There is absolutely no service through almost that whole area, I LOVE IT :)     The town of Moab is SO cool and I know the exact look on the faces that you mention.  When we swapped stories when you were here at the dealership I told you I travel cross country in my Bronco.  It is because of areas exactly like that.  There are just so many beautiful trails to see off the beaten path.  

We should add "best regional foods" to summer trips.

25 miles south of Amarillo and your favorite "fried pickle" place is Palo Duro Canyon. Who knew?

We were able to track down some fried pickles at the BBQ Exchange in Gordonsville, VA. No one warned me to let them cool a bit.

When you need a little more room, you might like this Ford (rest area near Trindad, CO) to add to your collection.

Canyonlands would be a great rally destination. Lots of things to do there. We could invite the Aussie monitors; they might like it in the Utah outback.

post-376-0-20105100-1433861674_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-09925300-1433861719_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

A great resource to bring as you travel to national parks is "Your Guide to the National Parks" published by Stone Road Press. We wish they had one for national monuments.

KMG, if you ever travel to Canyonlands UT bring a copy with you. Almost entirely "no service." Without this book, we might never have found Love Muffin Cafe in Moab. Great coffee and breakfast, plus everyone has that disheveled look of having too much fun to care what you look like.

Post some photos after you pick up your NVP. 13 hours should qualify as a summer trip...

Thanks for the tip on the guide book.  Thinking of going backroads home and making it a 3 day trip.

So what did you think of the fried pickels?  To me it's the best part of moving to the south, haha.  They are certainly hard to find on the West Coast.

I live in the Ozarks.  It's hard to find food that's not fried.  Daily Special "Fried on Fried with Fries!"  Gotta love it.

I ordered a side of 4 and barely got 1. Will order them again when east of Amarillo. Seems to be a BBQ staple. In DC, before we could finish our order, the waitress decided my wife and I should order sides of fries and onion rings and share them. She was right...

Another regional meal we liked was Louisiana tamales. Much different than SW tamales.

I live in the Ozarks.  It's hard to find food that's not fried.  Daily Special "Fried on Fried with Fries!"  Gotta love it.

Lake of the Ozarks is just awesome.  I really want to take a trip there with my boat in the next few months.

Lake of the Ozarks is great.  Be aware if your boat is small enough to be trailered you need to take care around the larger boats.  I have spent more time at Tablerock Lake (Southwest Missouri.  Branson area).  Less developed, better fishing, skiing, and the waves are more manageable for 30' and less boats.  Contact me if you are in my area or need assistance.  Kevin

Lake of the Ozarks is great.  Be aware if your boat is small enough to be trailered you need to take care around the larger boats.  I have spent more time at Tablerock Lake (Southwest Missouri.  Branson area).  Less developed, better fishing, skiing, and the waves are more manageable for 30' and less boats.  Contact me if you are in my area or need assistance.  Kevin

Table Rock is awesome fun because of Branson.  Great bass fishing there!

I'm familair with the chop out there at lake of the ozarks, every time I've been there it's jammed!  I enjoy heading over to shooters 21.

Great pics! Thank you for sharing!

Summer may be over, but it's still travel time.

"Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier NP was amazing. NVs are too wide to drive it and there are places where you see why, but they only monitor length, let you through and record your plate number. (NVs are less than 21'.) You will not be able to tow, so plan on parking your RV at Apgar CG at the west entrance or at St Mary CG at the east entrance. You can reserve sites at each. Many Glacier CG is first come first take. We got very lucky there. The campground was full an hour before arrived at 1 pm and my wife suggested we just drive in and see. One was still vacant. There are private campgrounds near both entrances.

I have lots of photos, but you have to see it... See if you can find our NV in the parking lot at Logan Pass. It was almost empty at 9 am when we arrived. After walking to the Hidden Lake overlook and returning about 10:30 am, it was full. The "Red Jammers" White Motor Company, built between 1936 and 1939, are still in service after being restored by Ford and converted to propane (so says the decal). For $95 each, you and 15 others can take an all day tour of Glacier NP. Red Jammers exceed the length and width limits, but who cares...

We looked at them and thought this vehicle has potential. It has a canvas top that rolls back. Add a pop top and it will sleep 2 fore and aft. In SMB parlance, that means: "Seats 17, Sleeps 4."

post-376-0-42529100-1442457769_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-69963900-1442457790_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-40348700-1442457809_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-54972100-1442457877_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-23781900-1442457901_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

Had a great trip.  What a beautiful country.  Attached a few images.  Looking forward to reading about and viewing other's journeys[

attachment=258:IMG_0595.JPG]post-1046-0-94064500-1444178366_thumb.jpgpost-1046-0-00928600-1444178438_thumb.jpgpost-1046-0-94644700-1444178493_thumb.jpgpost-1046-0-98113700-1444178596_thumb.jpgpost-1046-0-05665900-1444178637_thumb.jpg.  

post-1046-0-06350900-1444178279_thumb.jpg

Edited by KMG

Just back from our trip. 31 days in a sleeping bag, but at least we weren't in a tent.

We spent 2 days at Natural Bridges National Monument in southern Utah on our way home. When we left, we had a choice to backtrack 34 miles to US 191 or take UT 261 and the Moki Dugway. (What's a Dugway? It is where your draw a straight line between where you are and where you want to be, ignore the obstacles and blast or dig your way to your destination.) In this case, you are on the top of a mesa and want to get to the valley floor.

1st and 2nd gear all the way down...

post-376-0-62739200-1444692705_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-15231800-1444692731_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-19408800-1444692775_thumb.jpg

Really nice pictures!  I'd like to check that out.  You dont have a Quigley, do you?  Ever wish you had the extra traction?