Sign in to follow this  
ariel

STEERING FRICTION WHEN DRIVING

i have a 2012 Nissan NV 2500 high roof i can feel a little friction on the steering when driving at slow speed ( city driving ) some times small vibrating .. feels like some of the steering parts need lube any one else notice this ?? ??

thanx Ariel

Hi Ariel,

Yes, I too have noticed this. Also a sort of rubbing noise in the steering column when slow speed maneuvering (parking lot speeds). Almost sounds like the truck has electric steering it that makes any sense. Also it does seem a bit heavy, but it does move freely (if you are experiencing this that makes sense to you). I have a 2500 high roof V6 with around 1200 miles on it. I was planning on bringing it up at my first oil change/service. I know I can replicate the noise, the "heavy feeling" they may just say is normal. I think these trucks have "speed sensitive" power steering, so maybe that is what we are feeling, some sort of flaw in that system. Highway speeds I don't notice any issue, but the truck is a lot louder then and I am not swinging the steering wheel around at 65MPH.

If you happen to take yours in for service, let us know what they say and I will do the same, but probably not for a few months when I have around 5K miles or so on it.

-Earl

Hi Ariel,

Yes, I too have noticed this. Also a sort of rubbing noise in the steering column when slow speed maneuvering (parking lot speeds). Almost sounds like the truck has electric steering it that makes any sense. Also it does seem a bit heavy, but it does move freely (if you are experiencing this that makes sense to you). I have a 2500 high roof V6 with around 1200 miles on it. I was planning on bringing it up at my first oil change/service. I know I can replicate the noise, the "heavy feeling" they may just say is normal. I think these trucks have "speed sensitive" power steering, so maybe that is what we are feeling, some sort of flaw in that system. Highway speeds I don't notice any issue, but the truck is a lot louder then and I am not swinging the steering wheel around at 65MPH.

If you happen to take yours in for service, let us know what they say and I will do the same, but probably not for a few months when I have around 5K miles or so on it.

-Earl

I had that noise when it was new and seemed to go away.

i have a 2012 Nissan NV 2500 high roof i can feel a little friction on the steering when driving at slow speed ( city driving ) some times small vibrating .. feels like some of the steering parts need lube any one else notice this ?? ??

thanx Ariel

Yes i have noticed it to .Feels like some plastic part of the cover touches another ,not sure what to make of it .Try changing the tilt position see if this changes anything .Mine seems to get better in a referent position .

Bobby .

I to have a 2012 V6 2500 High roof and I am experiencing the same rubbing noise in the steering wheel.

I am at about 3,000 miles. Has anyone had this checked out by a mechanic or does it eventually go away?

I had this issue with my NVP 2 months after buying. There is a TSB for 'internal failure' with steering box. They changed 1. spiral cable 1.wire assembly 3. power steering gear assembly.

Thanks for the post LSI. The problems seems to be getting worse so I will get it in for repair. How long did they need to have the vehicle for repairs?

Thanks again.

No problem, they had it for about 5 hrs.

I have a 2012 Nissan 2500 NV van (15,300 miles as of Oct 1, 2013), purchased in October, 2011 from Korum's Nissan in Puyallup, WA. I too am getting a rubbing noise from my steering column as I turn the wheel. I had the problem diagnosed and the power steering assembly and pitman arm replaced at 7,169 miles and 14,278 miles by two different authorized Nissan NV dealers. The sound is once again starting up and is very irritating. I just called Korum's Nissan and was told they have had to replace the power steering assembly for other NV vans. He also says Nissan does not have a actual fix at this time but he will send a note to Nissan for an update. Also, is this a safety issue? Re-sale value issue? I would not recommend this vehicle.

update on Oct 3, 2013: the dealer service guy called me back and says he sent the note to the regional Nissan representative. In the meantime, do I have a dealer replace the power steering assembly for a third time while it's still under warranty? 

update on Oct 4, 2013: dealer service guy says regional rep suggested I get steering assembly replaced for a third time and he gave me the phone number for Nissan Consumer Affairs (1-800-nissan1). I hope this doesn't turn into one of those class action lawsuits where only the lawyers benefit.

update on Oct 11th: will be replacing the steering assembly and pitman arm for the third time.

Edited by mike t

noticed this noise at 3000k miles... went for an oil change and dealer said they havent dont have time to fix it, i have to make an appointment.

vibration may be caused by steering wheel recall fix, I think. The foam anti vibration is removed since it was causing the gear indicator to be off center (making one believe they were in park "p" but were really not fully in park. At least this is my understanding. It seems the fix allows more vibration in wheel.

I just had this issue develop on my NVP, with 4300 miles. Just a new slight vibration and very faint whine at low speed maneuvering. I'll keep any eye on it, and if it gets worse I'll let my dealer know. Could just be related to the colder weather possibly?

My NV2500 high roof cargo van started this at around 5000 miles. It has since stopped on its own.

Will follow this thread to see what develops.

Update on steering wheel groan/friction for those still having the issue. Ive had the sound develop and I requested the dealership to take a look at it. They traced the noise to a clock spring from inside the steering wheel. They had to order the part so haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm stoked though cause that's one annoying sound.

Mine is still making the sound and very slight vibrations at 15,000 miles. Let me know what the clock spring is, and if it totally cures the problem. Thanks!

Just an update, at 21,000 miles the vibration/whine is gone. Seems to have cured itself!

83k & having the same is for 3 weeks now. Trying to get appt. next week.