laharview

Laharview Farm Camper Build

Added a screen to the slider door opening.  Looked at buying the material from Skeeter Beater but do not have the required sewing skills.

So I bought a Instant Bug Off Screen in the 60" width and 80" length used in residential sliding door applications and opens in the center, www.bugoffscreen.com.  It comes with a spring loaded rod that fit the top nicely.  I put the rod in the lower pocket and the extra material seals up the top fine.

I used the factory Velcro mounts for the left side.  Then trimmed the right side a couple of inches long and used magnets to hold the screen.  Works fine and doesn't take much to install (maybe a step stool).

Along with the Skeeter Beaters for the front doors and the opening Drivers side CRL window I think I am set.

post-1155-0-57298800-1460319422_thumb.jpg

Edited by laharview

Do you have to remove it when you close the door? That would be a big improvement over the skeeterbeater we made.

Hi radin2son,

Yes. Only takes a couple of minutes. Already thinking on how make a internal screen. This will do for now.

Eurocampers sells side and rear screens as well as clear plastic "doors" for high tops. Each at $400+... Not sure if they make them low tops. Then again, most home builds are high tops.

In our case we wouldn't bother with an interior version as ours come off easily from inside or outside the van as well as fold back to let us in or out. Not so easy to reattach from the inside. It also fits in a stuff sack.

rad

I looked at the Eurocampers but got stopped by the cost.  The Bug Off was $59.95 and the site has a 10% off coupon so that covered the freight.  Had the magnets on hand but they would run $8.00 or so.  Really like the spring tension rod, fits the door opening nicely.  And so far the center opening magnets close fine every time.  Thought is was worth a try and will see how it holds up.

Loaded and leaving for a two week trip in the morning.  Heading to Idaho and then the weather will dictate our route.  This will be the maiden voyage after completing the build.  I'm sure I'll find things to add/modify but she's done enough for now.

Have a safe trip to ? and back.

We're finally headed to the 4 corners area and Hovenweep National Monument early next week, also with an eye on the weather. Rain this weekend, 4 days of sun, then more rain. Still cold at night. Short trip, so we may just return to avoid the rain.

Along with testing out your build, let us know how your side screen worked. Our's may get some use as there is some sort of noseeum that comes out only in May. If it is cool enough in the evening we may be able to keep the ph Windows mostly closed. Noseeums come through like there is no screen...

Will do. I should be handing out NV brochures and getting a commission. 2nd night on the road and this thing is a magnet at the campgrounds!

Four days on the road and all is working out nice. The door screen is good however I will add magnets to the left instead of the stick on Velcrow. Only had noseeums (seeums?) one afternoon and it blocked them. We feed ours a little better in the West so they are a bit fatter! Will be home May 14th.

post-1155-0-04592400-1462241018_thumb.jpg

She didn't look quite right with the white panel behind the CRL windows so I copied the idea from another NV'r to add wrap.

First step was to outline the area with 1/8" (3.5 mm) Knifeless Finish Line Tape.  Then used 3M 1080 Gloss Black wrap.  I found it best to start in the middle and use a felt edged squeegee to smooth it out.  Don't rush it.  Also the tape worked great.

Added a 5' gear hammock (like we use on the ship) to the right side for bulky stuff like coats.  Did not want a cabinet here as it might be a head knocker.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160220_093019162.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160220_103738541.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160220_110441.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160220_110107873.jpg

Adding that wrap is a great idea.  Very clever idea!

Spent two weeks and 1,800 miles going through Idaho and Eastern Oregon.  Only thing to add is a screen for the back door.  Photo below is a BLM camp site on the John Day River between Mitchell and Ashworth Oregon in the middle of 45 miles of single track dirt road with two stream crossings. Weather was dry however if it rained 4 wheel drive (or chains I had) would have been required.  Got to look into the parts needed to convert to 4 X 4.

post-1155-0-33697400-1463352785_thumb.jpg

Edited by laharview

Nice spot.

$11,000 is the starting point.

A little more clearance and AT tires might be all that is needed; this and dry roads.

I think I remember you not wanting a roof vent/fan. Did you go with the window system KMG has and still need the rear screen for better ventilation? Or is it the view?

Got to believe half that is labor and profit margin. Would be nice to know how much is custom fabrication vs Titan parts.

So far just the door Skeeter Beaters, CRL vent window, and full slider door screen.

When Dented (?) gets his NV back from Advanced 4x4, maybe he will break it down. From what I remember about Quigley conversions, very few if any Titan parts were used/usable. Not sure about Advanced. The new Titan may be different. I still have not seen the new Titan on the road; the local dealer has 3 on the lot.

KMG, did you get breakdown on parts/labor or was it all rolled into the MSRP since it was sold that way by a dealer.

How are your cabinets attached to the side of the van?

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the delay, been on the road!  I used the factory threaded holes about halfway up and cut 4 short pieces from aluminum angle stock to support the cabinet bottom.  And for the sides I inserted 4 - 5/16" Riv-Nuts (2 on each side).  Also a bit of aluminum stock in the middle to attach the shelf.  Very solid and no rattles.

post-1155-0-30855100-1466309123_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Mike

Edited by laharview

To date this year have spent 44 days camping and leaving Sunday for 10 days down the Oregon Coast.  I consider mine a simple build (no plumbing, built in stove, etc.) and had planned on hitting a hotel every few days.  So far we have not!  Need to lose the full time job...

If you get far enough south, stay at Humbug Mountain SP. Very nice campground, showers and nice beach. You can also hike to the top of Humbug Mt. Eat at the Crazy Norwegian in Port Orford.

If you attempt to go any farther south, you will find few places to cross the coastal ranges if you don't want to backtrack. Tough choice...but you have 10 days.

Definitely ditch the job and leave watching the Lahar to others.

When Dented (?) gets his NV back from Advanced 4x4, maybe he will break it down. From what I remember about Quigley conversions, very few if any Titan parts were used/usable. Not sure about Advanced. The new Titan may be different. I still have not seen the new Titan on the road; the local dealer has 3 on the lot.

KMG, did you get breakdown on parts/labor or was it all rolled into the MSRP since it was sold that way by a dealer.

I did purchase my van with the 4x4 conversion completed but it was a line item listed as an accessory.  $10,500 for my conversion. I have a complete parts breakdown for my conversion provided with the Quigley paperwork.... all the part numbers are Quigley numbers.  They're not going to give the research they paid for away.  Don't forget a company like Quigley has to have Workers Comp. insurance, General liability Insurance with an umbrella policy for $5,000,000 per event, Product liability insurance for any in house designed components, Commercial property insurance, Payroll, Utilities, Marketing, R&D, and many more.  An individual with skills should be able to convert a vehicle for less than half.  But if you are responsible for an accident with injuries or death you can bet their attorney will ask about the qualifications of the person who did the install and about the independent testing of the installed system.

IMHO sometimes it's better to pay $10,500 for a quality product plus transfer all issues and liabilities to others.  Great build and thanks for sharing your journeys, Kevin  

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the delay, been on the road!  I used the factory threaded holes about halfway up and cut 4 short pieces from aluminum angle stock to support the cabinet bottom.  And for the sides I inserted 4 - 5/16" Riv-Nuts (2 on each side).  Also a bit of aluminum stock in the middle to attach the shelf.  Very solid and no rattles.

attachicon.gifCabinet Mount (2).jpg

Best Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I am waiting for it to cool down so I can get to building mine. 

One year later back in Ellensburg, WA for the last show of the season.

post-1155-0-80048200-1473978027_thumb.jpg

Read about others using the sliders so I added a sliding tray under the bed to stow the stove.  The white pipe holds the side door screen and Fiamma Awning tool.  Ordered a rear screen from Skeeter Beater today.  Going to modify it a bit, will post when done.

post-1155-0-63847600-1480105045_thumb.jpeg

post-1155-0-63529100-1480105095_thumb.jpeg

Received the Skeeter Beater #PNL77 (65"W x 77"H) for the back doors last week.  It fits nice without any mods and installs inboard enough so the doors will close.  Got the black one so doesn't show up in a photo.

You must have more exposed metal to be able to attatch it out harm's way.

It is a good fit and the extra ventilation is worth it.

Yes. I did not wrap the rear arch. Wanted access to run additional wires, etc.