Welcome to the Nissan NV Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Nissan NV Forum. You must register to create topics and post replies, however, registration is a free and simple process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members. . .and more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cabin Air Filter - Where?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Current Vehicle:Express 2500

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I 'm trying to find out if my NV1500 V6 has a cabin air filter. I know its fairly common now. I change our 2009 Subaru's every 15K, and my NV just passed 15K.

I asked my service writer at the dealer today when I had the door latch recall done, and they had no idea.
  • motogrizz likes this

#2 tmbrook

tmbrook

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 NV S High Roof

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hi Dave,

The NV's do not come with a factory installed cabin filter, but there is a place for one located behind the glove box. After removing the glovebox there is a black door about 8 inches long located near the fan housing. Unclip the door and install a filter. The filter is the same one as the Nissan GTR cabin filter. Remove the door and insert the filter and reinstall the glove box. I did mine about 3 months ago. Remember to include the replacement routine into your maintenance schedule at 30K miles. I have a few pictures I took when I did mine let me know if you need them.

Tom
  • wheelchair access likes this

#3 wheelchair access

wheelchair access

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:Canada, Western
  • Locationvancouver
  • Current Vehicle:nv2500 hd

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

I would like to have a look at your cabin filter pictures. I have a 2012 nv 2500 hd converted to wheel chair acess and any air quality improvements I can do to the interior would be very helpful. If you can send those photos or post them on this forum I would really apreciate it.   thanks

#4 vanguy

vanguy

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:NV 2500 V8 SV High Roof

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Let me start by saying I have many allergies & the cabin filter is a real blessing. A huge thanks to tmbrook for pointing this feature out.

Yes the filter that fits the Nissan GTR fits perfectly. At O Reilly Auto parts they sell the Micro Guard # 3696 that fits perfectly. O Reilly's website says the WIX 24479 & the Fram CF 10743 also fit though I can't confirm for sure.

To put the filter element in requires that you remove the glove box. That means you must remove the lower portion of the dash that the glove box is mounted in. I've attached some pics to help explain this.

This is the lower dash area with the glove box removed.

Attached File  IMAG0211.jpg   132.67KB   123 downloads

This is the front of the dash where the 7 screws are located. The 2 arrows in the middle are for the 2 screws inside the glove box on both sides of the metal catch:

Attached File  Dash Front.jpg   38.85KB   105 downloads

Once you have the dash out, the filter box is right above the fan motor. Remove the cover by pressing the plastic clips on each side as marked:

Attached File  Box Front.jpg   36.25KB   96 downloads

Insert the filter with the directional flow arrow on the side pointing down. That's pretty much it. Just put everything back together.

When putting the dash back together, there is a plastic lip that runs down the entire right side of the dash piece that you removed. It sticks out only one eighth of an inch.  This lip will tuck under your black rubber weather stripping for the door.

Edited by vanguy, 05 July 2013 - 01:30 PM.

• wheelchair access, NVChattanooga, Daydreamin520 and 3 others like this

#5 wollip

wollip

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 305 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • LocationArkansas
  • Current Vehicle:NV 2500 S V-8

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Vanguy - thanks for such a detailed post! The extra effort you took is greatly appreciated!
  • Daydreamin520 likes this

#6 vanguy

vanguy

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:NV 2500 V8 SV High Roof

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Glad to help!

#7 sampson

sampson

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Canada, Central
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:NV 3500 HD SL

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks to Tmbrook and Vanguy!
I can confirm Fram CF10743 fits as well.

#8 bachex

bachex

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:NV3500 HD SL

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

Ok dumb question. Do I really need an air filter? Why would Nissan include a spot for the filter but then not put a filter in? Makes me believe it's probably not that critical. Am I wrong?

#9 tmbrook

tmbrook

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 NV S High Roof

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

My guess is that the fan and housing are interchangable with another Nissan model, so the spot to put the filter is already there. I would put one in if I worked in dusty conditions like new building sites. Or like vanguuy that has a family member with alergies to airborne particles. Nissan may have left it out just to save money.
  • vanguy likes this

#10 sampson

sampson

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Canada, Central
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:NV 3500 HD SL

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Though obviously not critical to the function of the van, it may enhance occupant comfort? We might need the Mythbusters for this one :)

Our dash is frequently "dusty" somehow, so I figure it was worth a shot to try a filter. We never drive with the windows open, so I surmise the dust must be coming in through the HVAC system somehow. We live in a suburban, paved subdivision but there is some farming in our surrounding area. My in-laws live in the "country" so we encounter about 200 feet of gravel road when we visit them a few times a month. I'll check the filter for visible dirt after 10,000 miles or so, and decide if the $20 filter is paying its way. I'll try to remember to post my highly scientific findings :)

The rear HVAC looks as if it recirculates cabin air only. If not, it may be a more significant source of dust & pollen than the front unit. The majority of the Rear system appears to live below the floor on the drivers side, about 3/4 of the way back. If it is drawing in outside air somehow, it should most definitely be filtered in a manner that doesn't require a screwdriver IMO. No mention of a rear filter in anything I've read to date.

I'm with Tom that Nissan had a price point they needed to hit and tossed a number of nice to have, but not essential, creature comforts we've been missing. The list so far at my house: Vanity mirrors in the visors ($20?) , rear venting windows ($250?), trim over the rear door latch ($125?), a master dome light switch & associated additional wiring ($50?), and now this filter ($20) That's about $415 in part cost so MSRP might be down say $750-$1000 as a result? Would we pay the extra $1000? Not sure now that it is all added up... Maybe I'd forego the rear venting windows :)

#11 wheelchair access

wheelchair access

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:Canada, Western
  • Locationvancouver
  • Current Vehicle:nv2500 hd

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

Let me start by saying I have many allergies & the cabin filter is a real blessing. A huge thanks to tmbrook for pointing this feature out.

Yes the filter that fits the Nissan GTR fits perfectly. At O Reilly Auto parts they sell the Micro Guard # 3696 that fits perfectly. O Reilly's website says the WIX 24479 & the Fram CF 10743 also fit though I can't confirm for sure.

To put the filter element in requires that you remove the glove box. That means you must remove the lower portion of the dash that the glove box is mounted in. I've attached some pics to help explain this.

attachicon.gifIMAG0211.jpg

This is the front of the dash where the 7 screws are located. The 2 arrows in the middle are for the 2 screws inside the glove box on both sides of the metal catch:

attachicon.gifDash Front.jpg

Once you have the dash out, the filter box is right above the fan motor. Remove the cover by pressing the plastic clips on each side as marked:

attachicon.gifBox Front.jpg

Insert the filter with the directional flow arrow on the side pointing down. That's pretty much it. Just put everything back together.

When putting the dash back together, there is a plastic lip that runs down the entire right side of the dash piece that you removed. It sticks out only one eighth of an inch.  This lip will tuck under your black rubber weather stripping for the door.

Though obviously not critical to the function of the van, it may enhance occupant comfort? We might need the Mythbusters for this one :)

Our dash is frequently "dusty" somehow, so I figure it was worth a shot to try a filter. We never drive with the windows open, so I surmise the dust must be coming in through the HVAC system somehow. We live in a suburban, paved subdivision but there is some farming in our surrounding area. My in-laws live in the "country" so we encounter about 200 feet of gravel road when we visit them a few times a month. I'll check the filter for visible dirt after 10,000 miles or so, and decide if the $20 filter is paying its way. I'll try to remember to post my highly scientific findings :)

The rear HVAC looks as if it recirculates cabin air only. If not, it may be a more significant source of dust & pollen than the front unit. The majority of the Rear system appears to live below the floor on the drivers side, about 3/4 of the way back. If it is drawing in outside air somehow, it should most definitely be filtered in a manner that doesn't require a screwdriver IMO. No mention of a rear filter in anything I've read to date.

I'm with Tom that Nissan had a price point they needed to hit and tossed a number of nice to have, but not essential, creature comforts we've been missing. The list so far at my house: Vanity mirrors in the visors ($20?) , rear venting windows ($250?), trim over the rear door latch ($125?), a master dome light switch & associated additional wiring ($50?), and now this filter ($20) That's about $415 in part cost so MSRP might be down say $750-$1000 as a result? Would we pay the extra $1000? Not sure now that it is all added up... Maybe I'd forego the rear venting windows :)

I would like to have a look at your cabin filter pictures. I have a 2012 nv 2500 hd converted to wheel chair acess and any air quality improvements I can do to the interior would be very helpful. If you can send those photos or post them on this forum I would really apreciate it.   thanks

attachicon.gifIMAG0211.jpg

attachicon.gifDash Front.jpg

attachicon.gifBox Front.jpg

Thanks guys! I used your suggestions and purchased the Nissan part, put it in and went for a three day drive in the mountains --air quality for my daughter really improved! I hope you fellas have a pleasant weekend.

#12 jimgoings

jimgoings

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan NV 3500 HD Passenger

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to tmbrook and vanguy for the tips! Filter was a snap to install!

Jimbo

#13 xavman

xavman

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan NV 3500 SV Passenger

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Easier way is to open the glovebox, squeeze in the 2 black side posts, and pull out the whole glovebox.

Still have to do all 7 bolts.

Don't go to Nissan for the filters, they (per record) have no filter for the NVP.  I got mine from Oreilly or Autozone (2012 Nissan NV3500 SV V8 5.6L).

#14 jimgoings

jimgoings

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan NV 3500 HD Passenger

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

MicroGard 3696 is the correct part # at O'Reilly (or anywhere that sells MicroGard).  It's the same one that goes in the Nissan GT-R.

Jimbo

#15 nutekit

nutekit

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:NV3500 SL Passenger

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the pics and PN.  Great help!

#16 ruben

ruben

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationdago
  • Current Vehicle:2012nv

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the insight.

#17 Jarl Skibumdad Berg

Jarl Skibumdad Berg

• NV Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Such a great forum...great info!  Thanks!!!

#18 MikeyNV

MikeyNV

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Other
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2014 NV Passenger 4.0L

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I did a search on the Oreilly site... The Part number for the 2014 is 3672

http://m.oreillyauto...un_jtt_redirect

Has someone installed this one?

2014 Nissan Passenger 3500 SV 4.0L

#19 kenmnv

kenmnv

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • Locationusa
  • Current Vehicle:none

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yes, I installed one and the NV is listed in their database now. The filter i purchased came in 2 pieces.
  • MikeyNV likes this

#20 MikeyNV

MikeyNV

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Other
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2014 NV Passenger 4.0L

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Kenmnv

2014 Nissan Passenger 3500 SV 4.0L